How big is your garden?

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not sure of the exact size. My veggie garden is on the south side of our garage. It is a slope that was impossible to mow so my hubbie terraced it. I have 4 plots that are roughly 10 feet long and 2 feet wide. There could be 4 more that size but they are shaded by tall trees on our neighbors' property. I can't get much in the way of veggies to grow there. I also plant a lot of containers on the deck and on our brick path between the house and garage. It's nice and warm in there and I've had great luck with peppers in pots there.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, what, 'garden' just means veggies now? ;P
Nope, my square feet are utilized about 2/3rds by the veggies. Most of the other 1/3rd is annual flowers or dahlias & glads. My "misery" garden is the perennial flowers.

I won't count my little lawn of dandelions, Japanese clover, lawn violets, and . . . uh, oh yeah, grass!

Steve

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
So, what, 'garden' just means veggies now? ;P
Nope, my square feet are utilized about 2/3rds by the veggies. Most of the other 1/3rd is annual flowers or dahlias & glads. My "misery" garden is the perennial flowers.

I won't count my little lawn of dandelions, Japanese clover, lawn violets, and . . . uh, oh yeah, grass!

Steve
You have grass?! I'm envious! I have lawn violets, dandelions, clover and moss.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've got to get my garden page up. Maybe tonight.

My veggie plot is under renovation. I'm putting it all in the backyard this spring - in the past it was out front, because that's where the sun was. A new septic system three years ago changed all that.

The veggie garden itself is 35'x50'. Down one side is my asparagus bed. There are a few huge rocks down about a foot or so in two sections, they aren't going anywhere so I've got to work around them. I've got perennial borders, rhody gardens and a couple of small shade gardens in addition. I've been gardening here for almost 30 years (next May) so some of my plants are very established - there's the Kousa dogwood out along the driveway that's a seedling of my parents', it's a large, lovely tree in its own right now!

I'll get that page up eventually :rainbow-sun

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
I've got to get my garden page up. Maybe tonight.

My veggie plot is under renovation. I'm putting it all in the backyard this spring - in the past it was out front, because that's where the sun was. A new septic system three years ago changed all that.

The veggie garden itself is 35'x50'. Down one side is my asparagus bed. There are a few huge rocks down about a foot or so in two sections, they aren't going anywhere so I've got to work around them. I've got perennial borders, rhody gardens and a couple of small shade gardens in addition. I've been gardening here for almost 30 years (next May) so some of my plants are very established - there's the Kousa dogwood out along the driveway that's a seedling of my parents', it's a large, lovely tree in its own right now!

I'll get that page up eventually :rainbow-sun
I love Kousa dogwoods! We gave my dad one for Father's Day years ago and when they moved he wasn't happy to leave it behind. I don't think it was producing seedlings yet. He does have lilacs that were taken from the bush that grew on his grandparents' farm when he was a kid. (He's about to turn 80!) I'm hoping to get some for here too. We have a lot of shade though so I'll have to find a good place first.

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
About 30-50 containers of various sizes-I have 5 gallon buckets and old plastic totes, flower pots and barrels. Some need to be replaced this year, etc. My landlord didn't want me plowing up the yard, so I just ruined all the grass with pots! I am starting up the greenhouse and school as soon as I get a new 'crop' of students after MLK.

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Only 30' x 100', the rest of the 3/4 acre backyard is "owned" by 23 chickens and their wild rabbit friends that sneak through the picket fence.

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ours is 200' by 60', gets alot of full sun & mostly fenced. :) Although it's over run with grass, I'll be planting stuff here & there. We don't have a tiller,so it's all going to be done by hand. :weight

Rosewood

Sprout
Reaction score
My main area for veggies is 30X50 but I have many small areas that I have gourds, peas cukes etc planted around near the back of the house and near the shed.

I am thinking of putting some nice edible greens in my flower boxes for the chickens.

I like edible landscaping where I can fit it in. I made a salad table last summer and plan to use it more this summer.

I have a full corner of ever bearing red raspberries, yummy all summer into fall. And strawberries that I sadly don't tend to well.

:rose

JenniferJoIN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wow... some of you guys have some BIG gardens!! :ep

Ours is 25' by 40'. We're planning on putting some stuff at his mom's house (stuff that doesn't need daily tending) and I think it's about 20' by 20'.

I think 25' by 40' is a lot of hoeing/weeding... I can't imagine going any bigger. I'm very impressed!!

Latest posts