How can you keep your.....

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
chickens out of the garden? If there is a way without a fence. My three hens, now 7 and a rooster ate all the seedlings last year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My hens are only out when someone is out there with 'em. Since quite a lot of time is spent in the backyard during the growing season - the chickens are out frequently.

Secondly, and it isn't really fair, my vegetable gardens aren't in the backyard. What's out there is an herb garden which they really, just leave alone. Also, I've got a tunnel which grows all sorts of greens during the Spring but they can't get in there until the plastic comes off. By that time - - the greens have been harvested.

The hens enjoy eating the lawn grass and having dust baths under the deck.

I'm not sure if this info will help but wanted to contribute my 2 cents. ;)

Steve

chickflick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I don't think there is any way that you can keep chickens out of your garden without a fence. Unless you're out there chasing them out every time they go in.

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
digitS' said:
My hens are only out when someone is out there with 'em. Since quite a lot of time is spent in the backyard during the growing season - the chickens are out frequently.

Secondly, and it isn't really fair, my vegetable gardens aren't in the backyard. What's out there is an herb garden which they really, just leave alone. Also, I've got a tunnel which grows all sorts of greens during the Spring but they can't get in there until the plastic comes off. By that time - - the greens have been harvested.

The hens enjoy eating the lawn grass and having dust baths under the deck.

I'm not sure if this info will help but wanted to contribute my 2 cents. ;)

Steve
They have not messed with our herbs at all last. I guesse chickens do not care for herbs, but they did eat my moms flowers. They free range all day, but we might have to make a big run for gardening season.

chickhamm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
not sure if you have to deal with other predators, but possibly fencing in the garden might be better. Double duty, keeping the chickens out and other birds and animals?

chickhamm
Theressa
GA

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My chickens free range all the time, so fenceing in the garden probaly whould work.

crazychickens

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have the same problem as you, chickens in the garden.

This will be my first time with free range chickens and a 50 foot by 100 foot garden. Yesterday when I was raking out the asparagus bed, I had all 18 hens under foot, straching away.

My son said mama, "they are just trying to help".

Will they also try to "help" eat the asparagus? :idunno

Looks like I'll be putting up a fence.

chickenboy8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My chickens follow me around the yard, they even follow me into the woods some times when I am hunting.

Latest posts