How close do the grow lights have to be so seedlings don't get leggy?

jakesebastin

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I do not think that the distance will matter so much. If it matters than put the lights as closer as possible and so that the plants can absorb as much lights as they needed ans can grow better.

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No matter what lighting type you use, measure the temperature at the plant and keep it between 70F to 80F for best results (higher for some other plant types). Adding a fan to circulate air can allow putting lights closer, just don't get them so close that by the next time you check the plant it has grown to the point of touching the lights.

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My view. All artificial lights are a waste of money. No matter what precautions are taken as the plants get larger there will be inadequate light, sooner if not later. Most seeds will germinate without any light. Temperature and moisture are the only criteria for germination.

My procedure is germinate the seeds often on a paper towel, then place the seeds in soil and put the containers in sunlight (Zone 5). This may mean putting them in a bit of a greenhouse or moving the containers outside during the day and taking in a night, when it gets colder.

Everybody has different situations, and it is necessary to adapt as required. I have a greenhouse heated (natural gas) such that the temperature can be kept above freezing from about the end of February, until the plants are placed in the outdoor garden at the end of May. The greenhouse is for producing strong seedling for transplanting. I make no attempt to produce plants for use in the greenhouse. I am discussing vegetables.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you know what you are doing there is nothing that can not be grown under artificial light. Our Thanksgiving meal tomorrow will include romaine lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers grown completely under artificial lighting. If you plan on growing seeds frequently you might purchase a 24" T5 fixture with a 6500K tube. They are not all that expensive, and will cover about 2 dozen seedlings. With the T5 I keep the light about 4" above the seedlings and in about two weeks they are ready to transplant.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Jack

dwb.jpg

112212.jpg

Latest posts