How do I can stuff?

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I remember my dad would do his recipes, put the stuff in the cans and then put them into a giant thing of boiling water on the stove. Is that how it's done? The seal is activated in the hot water bath??

I'm also looking for a recipe for salsa. A recipe for a "small" amount of tomatoes, maybe half a pound.

I'm wanting to test some stuff before I make a giant batch. I have jalepenos, garlic powder, onions, tomatoes. No herbs, other than the mint.

Thanks for any help!

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There are a lot of canning blogs... there are recipes on the forum. I recommend the ball blue book of canning... and i like the "for dummies" book series canning book.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do not attempt to can anything, until you have a very clear understanding of how it is done. It is not complicated, but if you do not follow directions exactly- you can become very ill, or even die. I know this sounds severe- but it really is that serious. Botulism has no smell, or taste....
That being said, if you go to the grocery store this time of year, they are bound to have a Ball canning book. This is the "bible" of canning. If you follow it, you will have great success and be safe. The kind of canning you father was doing is called waterbath canning. This works fine for jellies, and very high acid foods. It cannot be safely used for low acid foods, like beans, corn, etc....
Grab yourself a Ball Book-and start your canning! There are several recipes for salsa, right in the book. Good luck and Enjoy!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was going to say define 'stuff'?!

That thought being canning is different for different items. Timing and mixes are not consistant across the board. There are tons of fabulous references out there, definitely start with a 'how to' book or video first before trying to decipher it from a book of canning recipes. I don't find a quick step by step in a canning recipe book to be as thorough as one designed to explain how to can and why things are the way they are.

Do realize that water bath canning (boiling water) is only meant for a limited amount of 'things'. A pressure canning is required for low acid items, including meats or green beans. You should probably start off practicing with the water bath options first and move up to the investment of a pressure canner when you are comfortable and know you are in this for the long haul. It's not cheap to get started.

I teach a beginner class as some people prefer visual, hands on help over a book. So if really are visual... I find a great many videos right on YouTube to be awesome!

So those are my silly suggestions to add to the great wealth of information here! :)

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mainly salsa. I will be having LOTS of tomatoes and LOTS of jalepenos! I've blanched and frozen my beans and peas, so no canning with those. I don't can meat...it doesn't appeal to me in the least and we don't purchase enough meat to can really.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
rodriguezpoultry said:
Mainly salsa. I will be having LOTS of tomatoes and LOTS of jalepenos! I've blanched and frozen my beans and peas, so no canning with those. I don't can meat...it doesn't appeal to me in the least and we don't purchase enough meat to can really.
Do you have a salsa recipe that you like? If so you could just freeze the salsa in the Ball Plastic Freezer Jars like these
Or you can take you salsa recipe and bring the mixture quickly to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Have clean canning jars and new lids and rings prepared for use. Let lids sit in a shallow dish of very hot water for 10 minutes until use.
Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe rim of jar with a damp paper towel. Place lid on evenly and adjust ring onto jar.
Process jars for 15 minutes using boiling water canning method
After processing for 15 minutes remove jars from caner and let cool.

If you need a recipe for salsa there are a few good ones online at this link,
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,canned_salsa,FF.html

You are going to need a set of canning tongs like there http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/detail/TCL+1440010731 (should be able to get them a Walmart)

Chris

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
rodriguezpoultry said:
Definitely read up on what the process is, and what it does-- and what types of foods fit into what categories. The quick and dirty version is------ Acidic food versus non-acidic food. Similar process, but 2 different goals. Sealing jars isn't the "goal" for canning, it's bringing your food to the proper heat, for the proper time to kill harmful and/or deadly bacteria (sealing happens during this process).

You've gotten a bunch of good recommendations-- PLEASE READ THEM. It's very important.

I groan every time "canning season" comes along-- I've done it, and understood the process since I was a kid, and now we live in a very rural area where people do things "the way my grandma taught me"... in other words, very old fashioned, and outdated ways of canning which are not safe.

I work with a woman whose food I won't eat anymore when she brings it to share, because she's told me things such as "I hot water bath my green beans for no more than 10 minutes, or they are mushy" and " when I can my beef-roasts, I don't even need to put the jars in the canner most of the time, they usually seal themselves". You will understand why this is BAD, once you read up on canning!!

Read-- come back and ask questions-- then read more!!!

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
When I started canning a few years ago, I found the Ball Blue Book and the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving very helpful. They both have step by step directions. Remember, depending on your altitude you will have to adjust boiling water time the higher in altitude you go. I don't know if that is the same for pressure canning or not since I don't can low acid foods but probably so. Have fun canning!

Latest posts