How do I know when the watermelon is ready?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now I'm afraid to say this.... isn't it just cantaloupes and honeydew you sniff?
I thought watermelon had to be thumped, and rolled over to check there belly color.

Wow. I'm getting all sorts of weird images in my mind now...
For some reason, sniffing cantaloupes and honeydew don't make me think of the dogs....... probably because I sniff them too! :lol: I am a self confessed watermelon thumper!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cantelopes smell sweet and the vine end just falls off. Watermelon your supposed to knock on it and it sounds hollow. Nothing worse than cutting open an unripe watermelon after all that anticipation. Thing is unless you have a lot I don't think the sound is going to mean anything to the inexperienced. I have 2 and they both do sound different, but which is ripe?
I put all my melons up on inverted plant pots today. Otherwise the melon can rot from the ground, but even more frustrating is when a animal tunnels inside from the bottom and has a feast leaving a perfect LOOKING melon behind. It also lift them into the sun and is supposed to make them sweeter.

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have two watermelons that are probably no where close to being ripe but have been wondering the same thing! :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only 2 melons. Sure do not want to harvest anything that is not ready.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Grief, I don't really like watermelon. this would not get me to run out and buy any either. :confused:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think this one is ripe.

baby in watermelon.jpg

Latest posts