How Do You Cut Cinder Block ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want to make some raised beds out of cinder block. I want the bed 2 blocks high, how do I cut block so 2nd row joints don't line up with1st row ? Can I just dry stack 2 nd row or do they have to be cemented down?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never done it but you can get masonry saw blades to cut them. Talk to the people at a Lowe's, Home Depot, or Ace Hardware store.

Cinder blocks should be twice as long as they are wide. Instead of cutting them can you just stack them at the corners so they don't line up if you are enclosing all four sides?

Only two rows high you can dry stack them. Just make sure the first row is level which you need to do any way so it looks right. If you are on a slope where you might get a mud slide down (or just dirt moving down and pushing against the blocks) you could get movement but on fairly flat ground it should not be a problem.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You don't need to cut them if you are building square or rectangular beds, since their ratio is 2 long x 1 wide. Just stack the second course centered over the joints of the first ones, then when you turn the corner with your bed let the short end of that one complete the missing half block. I hope this makes sense.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want to make some raised beds out of cinder block. I want the bed 2 blocks high, how do I cut block so 2nd row joints don't line up with1st row ? Can I just dry stack 2 nd row or do they have to be cemented down?
First way is to buy some of the cinder block in half leangth size and stack them alternately at one end of the run , then the long blocks with the seams in the middle in secquence. Another way is to use a circular saw with a concrete blade to cut the block as needed. Then there is the method of lightly tapping the block lightly with a masonry hammer ( shaped somewhat like a hatchet)and make a paralel score line on both sides of the block, then tap the block end that you want to be cut off as waste with the hammer side of the hammer and the block will brake off at the score lines. Have fun practicing that and order more blocks as there will be booboos when one first starts. I would say that the easiest option is to buy some half blocks as needed to do the job . Enjoy the math exercise !:D

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We do it @bobm's second way, by scoring a line and tapping with a cement chisel until the block breaks. That works really well unless you are impatient or need the block cut between the center cement. If your size is variable, use the cross stacking method described in @Ridgerunner and @flowerweaver's posts. Easy-peasy to set and nary a cut to be made.

You can also get some 2" high full concrete blocks to use as a top cover for a neater look and a spot to sit, but they would probably need a bit of glue to stay in place.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can fill holes with soil when you complete the stacked bed. Then plant cascade petunias in the "holes"._

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course, you are right, Bay, but to this old gal's thinking everyone needs a spot to sit and work on their beds. Of course, a few holes could be left uncovered and planted to flowers and still leave plenty of space for comfort.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you have visiting children you should cement them. Of course to do it right you need a footing. The first thing any child will do it climb up and walk along them and jump off.

Latest posts