How do you keep your dog from digging in garden?

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We have surrounded our large garden w/chainlink fence to keep our Retriever/Chow mix from digging (& peeing) in our veggie garden. I have a small circle area that I am wanting to make my herb garden & my dog loves to dig in that area since the soil is loose & he can hide his bones.

It currently is surrounded by two sets of landscaping bricks. Do you surround your garden w/fencing as well? Is there anything I can spray to make him leave it alone? I was thinking about raising it, but I'd have to raise it over 4ft, since he's pretty tall :lol:

TIA!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just hoop chicken wire over my herb and flower beds and this does the trick. They can't jump it, digging under satisfies the digging impulse and I've never seen them make it in there(I let some of the wire lay flat on the ground at the base of the hoop and pin it down with wire pins~they won't dig on that wire as they don't like that feeling) and the wire is barely visible from the road, so it doesn't ruin the looks of my flowers. If the flowers get too tall for the hoop, I graduate to woven wire that has holes big enough for the blossoms to grow through.

I sympathize....I have labs! :rolleyes:

Latest posts