How do you know if straw is safe in the compost bin

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you use straw in your garden or compost bins, how do you know if it is safe? I know the hay I get is safe, but I cannot find any straw right now that for sure is safe. Is it something to worry about?

muckmuck

Leafing Out
Reaction score
That is an interesting point. Isn't straw in this country primarily from wheat? If so according to the recent news stories there isn't supposed to be any "roundup ready" GMO strains in America's fields. So consequently unlike GMO corn and soybeans farmers shouldn't be spraying straw directly with roundup.

Max

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
muckmuck said:
That is an interesting point. Isn't straw in this country primarily from wheat? If so according to the recent news stories there isn't supposed to be any "roundup ready" GMO strains in America's fields. So consequently unlike GMO corn and soybeans farmers shouldn't be spraying straw directly with roundup.

Max
Wouldn't be. Wheat uses other chemicals for weed control. It's safe unless you are allergic to wheat.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah but, Max. If a grain field has a swale that stays green while the remainder of the field ripens, they may spray it with roundup. Yep.

This is the Alberta agricultural ministry but it is true elsewhere. They call it "Pre-Harvest Glyphosate" (link).

GwR, I don't think treating crops with herbicide before harvest is terribly common. Persistence varies from herbicide to herbicide and there aren't supposed to be too many that persist thru composting or persist thru a cow's digestive track. Oh, yeah! Herbicide manure.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Ah but, Max. If a grain field has a swale that stays green while the remainder of the field ripens, they may spray it with roundup. Yep.

This is the Alberta agricultural ministry but it is true elsewhere. They call it "Pre-Harvest Glyphosate" (link).

GwR, I don't think treating crops with herbicide before harvest is terribly common. Persistence varies from herbicide to herbicide and there aren't supposed to be too many that persist thru composting or persist thru a cow's digestive track. Oh, yeah! Herbicide manure.

Steve
I did find out alfalfa is okay because it cannot be sprayed like grass. I read this article and if I am right there is such a thing as herbicide manure.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/herbicide-damage-zmgz13fmzsto.aspx#axzz2W3sD1WHq

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you are a purist then you won't want to use anything sprayed with Round-Up, but it won't cause problems in your compost pile or gardens. Picloram is the herbicide to watch out for. Anything sprayed with Picloram will remain toxic to soil for several years - even hay or grains passed through farm animals' digestive system are dangerous if used in the garden or compost pile.

The easiest way I know of to test for Picloram in straw, hay, or manure is to plant a few peas. Legumes are especially sensitive to the effects of Picloram and will quickly die while other veggies may just show poor growth and small harvests for the years it takes to remove the toxicity from the soil.

muckmuck

Leafing Out
Reaction score
digitS' said:

Steve
Steve,
That was a fascinating bit of information in that link. When I first glanced at your response I assumed that it was a reference to the "mystery" roundup resistant wheat in Oregon. But no!! Roundup and other herbicides are actually harvest management tools, crop not drying out quick enough? break out the herbicide. weather a bit iffy? spray that wheat! You say that you don't believe pre-harvest use is common but my paranoid side could see a big agribusiness operation using the technique to manage resources such as harvesting equipment more efficiently.

Max

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:caf good grief, you guys need to quit opening my eyes. I don't like it.
the head in the sand philosophy is a more pleasant way to be. :hide