How do you know when to harvest popcorn

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was given glass gem popcorn for christmas. I planted in april, so I know it should be harvested soon. But what should it look like when I go pick it? What does yours look like when you harvest?

Pics please????

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you are harvesting it for the popcorn you will need to let it dry completely on the stalks. watch the weather to be sure it isn't raining too much or it could get moldy.

mine are just starting to tassel so i'm watching for the ears to start forming. in about 17-24 days i should be able to pick them for eating if they are at the milk stage. if picked early, Glass Gem can be eaten like regular corn but won't be overly sweet. it's better as a flint corn for flour/feed and should be dried down sometime in September and ready for harvest then.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What Chickie said. I let mine dry on the stalk, but if the weather is going to turn wet before the corn stalks are completely dry, I'll cut the ears off the stalks and bring them under shelter for complete drying. I leave most of the husks on, but pull them back to expose the kernels.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Corn should be mature (not dry) 55 days after pollination. At maturity it will be 35% Moisture. Good drying weather should lose 1%\day until 20% then it slows way down.

Latest posts