How do you process an Anaheim Pepper?

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok, so I am a wimp! I cannot eat really hot peppers anymore. However, I can do Anaheim peppers and I just started my gardening career this year. I have a 4 X 4 X 6 raised bed and everything went totally nuts. :barnie

Everything got really big and unruly. I was not ready for such overwhelming growth. This was not good because everything was choked out and shaded everything else. :/

My Anaheim gave me three beautiful very large peppers and I was stumped as how to use them. Yes, I read a lothowever.I got busy and they were wasted. I need something fast and efficient and for a smaller harvest.

Next year I will have learned my mistakes. My question is how do you process the Anaheim pepper. I have a glass top stove. Can I roast the skin off with one of those barbeque fire starters? I would hate to have to start a whole Hibachi thing in my back yard for just a few peppers at a time.

Any suggestions are welcome? Recipes? Thanks. :bee

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you want them roasted, the most sensible thing would be to plan a dinner that involves cooking something on the hibachi, and then do yer peppers at the same time :) Alternatively they can be done under the broiler element in your oven, but again, it makes more sense to me to be *cooking* something *too* since you are hottin' the oven up :p

Or you could pickle them, if you like pickled peppers.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When I roast my peppers I leave the top on them, cut a small slit down the side and gently scoop the seeds out. Then put them about 5" from the top element of your oven and roast them until you see the skin bubble up and start turnign black. Pull them out and flip them over and roast the opposite side. Once you have them totally roasted pull from the oven and let set 2-3 minutes then stick them in a zip-lock bag - you want them cool enough not to melt the baggie but hot enough they steam very well inside the bag - close the bag and let the peppers cool enough so you can handle them easily. After this the skin just peels right off. It's best to use fresh peppers that are not yet showing signs of wilting.

Other than that you can smoke them or if you don't mind them being a bit mushy (like you plan on cooking with them) you can always stick them in the freezer. You can also freeze roasted peppers. I grew a LOT of peppers this year so I had to be inventive too :)

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
When I roast my peppers I leave the top on them, cut a small slit down the side and gently scoop the seeds out. Then put them about 5" from the top element of your oven and roast them until you see the skin bubble up and start turnign black. Pull them out and flip them over and roast the opposite side. Once you have them totally roasted pull from the oven and let set 2-3 minutes then stick them in a zip-lock bag - you want them cool enough not to melt the baggie but hot enough they steam very well inside the bag - close the bag and let the peppers cool enough so you can handle them easily. After this the skin just peels right off. It's best to use fresh peppers that are not yet showing signs of wilting.

Other than that you can smoke them or if you don't mind them being a bit mushy (like you plan on cooking with them) you can always stick them in the freezer. You can also freeze roasted peppers. I grew a LOT of peppers this year so I had to be inventive too :)
Thank you! This sound great and just what I need. I will take all suggestions. There is more than one-way to skin a rabbit erpepper. :weee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the first year in many that I didn't have either Big Chili or Big Chili 2 in the garden. The seed company came out with a Biggie Chili to replace the others. Must have picked the right name this time and had a run of customers on the seed . . . I couldn't get any :/.

Nothing wrong with a little hot pepper intolerance. I grow some real doozies and have to dilute them down to practically nothing in order to eat them. But, there are lots of variety out there in my pepper patch. Favorites are the Italian Sweets. If I want a little heat, a Garden Salsa or one of the "doozies" is available to add.

You don't really need to take the skins off, Ladyhawke. These Italian Sweets were harvested just as they began to turn red. They were hung in the kitchen to finish ripening but were not dried.

The pepper paste goes in sandwich bags and is frozen for later use in sauces, soups, and stews. That brings some real flavor of summer to winter comfort food.

Steve

4989_harvest_014.jpg

4989_harvest_016.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You know Steve, :frow

I seen these pictures before on another post, and I wanted so badly to say something but 'buttoned' my lip. LOL :duc

But, this time I have ask! How on earth are you able to simmer those peppers in a sauce pan right up to the brim? LOL :lol: My stove would not be as kind. <giggling> :lol:

I am sorry, and then; how on earth are you able to put soooo much chili pulp into that bowl and not have it find its way out? LOL :gig

OMG, my sides hurt over this! I think my reaction has more to do with the thought that I would walk in and see that in my kitchen LOL I would freak! ROFL!

I feel better that I asked. Sometimes some folks have a better grasp of gravity than I do. (oh god now I am crying! LOL) :gig :gig

I Love those Pictures! Aren't pictures suppose to illicit a response in a person? I think these are the pics!

Thanks, no harm intended, you just aren't allowed in my kitchen is all! LOL :th

Ron

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ron, you should see the harvest buckets that I use. I really, really had to go with a 3-gallon rather than the 5-gallons just because the weight of them are too much.

Next year, I'm thinking about 1-gallon buckets :old .

You can follow my trail and pick up things like cucumbers and sweetcorn :lol: .

Gives an impression of "bounty" - don't you think :throw ?

Steve

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That full pot and bowl made a big impression on me too... and everything around it spotless??? :ep
SAY IT AIN'T REAL lol. Congrats for being in control of your kitchen, do you give lessons

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Notice that the pepper paste is of sufficient stiffness to hold the spatula at 33.33.

Fresh vegetables have a fairly low angle of repose and that must be taken into account in the garden . . .

Steve

edited to say: And yes, I do have 33.33 fingers and toes!

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
This is the first year in many that I didn't have either Big Chili or Big Chili 2 in the garden. The seed company came out with a Biggie Chili to replace the others. Must have picked the right name this time and had a run of customers on the seed . . . I couldn't get any :/.

Nothing wrong with a little hot pepper intolerance. I grow some real doozies and have to dilute them down to practically nothing in order to eat them. But, there are lots of variety out there in my pepper patch. Favorites are the Italian Sweets. If I want a little heat, a Garden Salsa or one of the "doozies" is available to add.

You don't really need to take the skins off, Ladyhawke. These Italian Sweets were harvested just as they began to turn red. They were hung in the kitchen to finish ripening but were not dried.

The pepper paste goes in sandwich bags and is frozen for later use in sauces, soups, and stews. That brings some real flavor of summer to winter comfort food.

Steve

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/4989_harvest_014.jpg

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/4989_harvest_016.jpg
This is wonderful! OMG, I am drooling. :rose

Latest posts