1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

How do you process an Anaheim Pepper?

Discussion in 'The Harvest: Recipes, Canning, Preserving' started by Ladyhawke1, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Oct 25, 2009
    Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Deeply Rooted

I just thought to ask, and is it OK to ask where do you get your seeds from? Do you just plant them or soak them and when do you choose to put them in the ground? Because I am in So. Cal, I tend to think I can plant all year. Wrong! But I will learn. :ya

2. Oct 25, 2009
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

Pepper seeds?

I find most of my peppers in the Totally Tomatoes catalog. Totally Tomatoes is part of the Jung Seed conglomerate and you can consolidate your catalog orders (so as to pay shipping only once) at eGardenersPlace.com.

Stick the seeds in the ground after soaking? I rather think not!! Only a few varieties that I grow would even have fruit, let alone begin to ripen before a killing frost! They'd probably arrive at the end of the season only about 3" or 4" tall.

Peppers aren't the easiest things to start in my little greenhouse, they don't seem to like all the high humidity in there and want more sunlight than is available. Nevertheless, getting a good number of weeks "jump" on the season is very necessary for me. I start the seed in a warm indoor location in soil and then the little plants go first to a sunny south window and then out to the greenhouse.

Did you know that peppers are perennials, Ladyhawke? In tropical countries they can live for a number of years. I'm not sure if you could get away with that easily in SoCal . . . maybe.

Steve
    :tools

3. Oct 26, 2009
    Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Deeply Rooted

No, I didn't know that. :D

My Anaheim is still upright and is pushing out one more pepper. The bush doesn't look too happy. Maybe it could use more fertilizer...I will give it some chicken "stuff" and see if that will make it happier. :ep