How do you process an Anaheim Pepper?

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
This is the first year in many that I didn't have either Big Chili or Big Chili 2 in the garden. The seed company came out with a Biggie Chili to replace the others. Must have picked the right name this time and had a run of customers on the seed . . . I couldn't get any :/.

Nothing wrong with a little hot pepper intolerance. I grow some real doozies and have to dilute them down to practically nothing in order to eat them. But, there are lots of variety out there in my pepper patch. Favorites are the Italian Sweets. If I want a little heat, a Garden Salsa or one of the "doozies" is available to add.

You don't really need to take the skins off, Ladyhawke. These Italian Sweets were harvested just as they began to turn red. They were hung in the kitchen to finish ripening but were not dried.

The pepper paste goes in sandwich bags and is frozen for later use in sauces, soups, and stews. That brings some real flavor of summer to winter comfort food.

Steve

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/4989_harvest_014.jpg

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/4989_harvest_016.jpg
I just thought to ask, and is it OK to ask where do you get your seeds from? Do you just plant them or soak them and when do you choose to put them in the ground? Because I am in So. Cal, I tend to think I can plant all year. Wrong! But I will learn. :ya

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pepper seeds?

I find most of my peppers in the Totally Tomatoes catalog. Totally Tomatoes is part of the Jung Seed conglomerate and you can consolidate your catalog orders (so as to pay shipping only once) at eGardenersPlace.com.

Stick the seeds in the ground after soaking? I rather think not!! Only a few varieties that I grow would even have fruit, let alone begin to ripen before a killing frost! They'd probably arrive at the end of the season only about 3" or 4" tall.

Peppers aren't the easiest things to start in my little greenhouse, they don't seem to like all the high humidity in there and want more sunlight than is available. Nevertheless, getting a good number of weeks "jump" on the season is very necessary for me. I start the seed in a warm indoor location in soil and then the little plants go first to a sunny south window and then out to the greenhouse.

Did you know that peppers are perennials, Ladyhawke? In tropical countries they can live for a number of years. I'm not sure if you could get away with that easily in SoCal . . . maybe.

Steve
:tools

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Pepper seeds?

I find most of my peppers in the Totally Tomatoes catalog. Totally Tomatoes is part of the Jung Seed conglomerate and you can consolidate your catalog orders (so as to pay shipping only once) at eGardenersPlace.com.

Stick the seeds in the ground after soaking? I rather think not!! Only a few varieties that I grow would even have fruit, let alone begin to ripen before a killing frost! They'd probably arrive at the end of the season only about 3" or 4" tall.

Peppers aren't the easiest things to start in my little greenhouse, they don't seem to like all the high humidity in there and want more sunlight than is available. Nevertheless, getting a good number of weeks "jump" on the season is very necessary for me. I start the seed in a warm indoor location in soil and then the little plants go first to a sunny south window and then out to the greenhouse.

Did you know that peppers are perennials, Ladyhawke? In tropical countries they can live for a number of years. I'm not sure if you could get away with that easily in SoCal . . . maybe.

Steve
:tools
No, I didn't know that. :D

My Anaheim is still upright and is pushing out one more pepper. The bush doesn't look too happy. Maybe it could use more fertilizer...I will give it some chicken "stuff" and see if that will make it happier. :ep

Latest posts