How do you save seeds?

shelleyd2008

Leafing Out
Reaction score
And when? We have rose of sharons, and some flowering vine thing that dad calls a hummingbird plant (think it's a honeysuckle?). Both of these have seed 'pods' on them. How do I save them, and when is the best time to do so?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are gardeners on this site who have all kinds of fancy systems for seed saving. If you are inclined to put in a lot of time and energy you can try those- or you can do it the lazy way. (My way!!) When the seeds are fairly dry, harvest them and spread them in a layer to further dry. When they are totally dry, put them in a labeled envelope and use in the spring. Have you ever tried Rose of Sharon from seed? I have only dug up small plants and transplanted...Good luck, and enjoy!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I now have a new method for saving seeds ...called a very busy three year old with great skill at organizing ... he will pick and sort for about an hour at a time for me and I am thrilled!

please see this last post I made on this thread http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25894&p=6

when they are completey sorted and good and dry I just put them in little enevelopes and label them with the name and date and toss them in a box of unorganized seed packages ...

maybe I can get the chipmunk to reorganize the labeling or make his own up and organize my box now ...hmmmmm

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My 5 year old is great for organizing stuff for me.
She loves to be a helper, too bad it wears off before they hit like 10.
I have just started to get into seed saving and I have to say I go the lazy route as well.
The garden takes up enough time and this way seems to work just as well as the more elaborate systems.

Latest posts