How Do You Store Seeds ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When spring fever hits, and I see the seed rack I go crazy. Most seeds I buy never get planted, they end up back of a draw found years later. I throw out any over 2 years. How do you store seeds, so they are good for a couple of years?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dark place, temperature changes slightly but would probably be better on the cool side. I put everything in glass when I can, the dark brown glass like what's used in beer bottles is probably better. I would by one of those huge mason jars to stuff all of your seed packets in, and maybe even throw a pack or two of silica gel in for good measure.

Another reason why I like the glass - whenever winter makes me want to pull my hair out I can always bring out a a jar of saved mixed bean or cowpea seed to set on my desk and look at.

frontiergirl53

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I store my onion bulbs and any other roots in my closet (oddly enough my clothes don't smell) and the rest of my seeds I have in a old fashioned tool box in my gardening shed. But in the winter, they go up in my room under the book case. I've even found some seeds under my mattress. How they got there, who knows :lol:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course different seeds will last different lengths of time. Dark and cool is generally good. I mostly store mine in those brown yeast jars with the lids screwed on, I've got plenty of those. Once the seeds are dry that keeps them dry plus it keeps insects out of them.

I use a zip-loc bag in the freezer for a few things, usually beans, though sometimes beans go in a jar too. Freezing them for a week or so will kill any weevils in them so they won't be eaten up when you open them. Usually I forget to take them out of the freezer until planting time.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
In plastic baggies, in a plastic storage box, in a freezer.
My thought is that they last much better frozen than left out in the summer heat.
Also, how do you store your liquid chemicals that get used in the garden or on the lawn? Weed killers, fertilizers, etc. Do we know if the extreme temps affect them? I'm pretty sure our garage gets below freezing, and over 100* during the year. (Not trying to hijack, sorry)

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have 29 pill bottles, tiny spice cans, small glass jelly jars all over the place out in the garden shed and most are 1/2 to 3/4 full of seeds. Oh yeah, there is a bucket full of paper envelopes with seeds inside, too. We like to keep them out in the un-heated shed to allow the seeds to freeze and thaw in harmony with mother nature just like they would laying on the ground after falling off the parent plant.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When spring fever hits, and I see the seed rack I go crazy. Most seeds I buy never get planted, they end up back of a draw found years later. I throw out any over 2 years. How do you store seeds, so they are good for a couple of years?
I would never throw any seeds away. What's the harm in throwing them in the ground? Lettuce, tomatoes. the broccoli family keep for many years. I do not even give them special care. I have tomatoes that are I bet 10 years old and I will grow them yet again. That's how I end up with a big collection of varieties.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Basement shelves, altho' the seeds may be just about anywhere thru the growing season. They are in their original packets or zip lock bags. Baskets and plastic bucket with a lid serve for carrying around.

I know it's not the best. I'm not picking on her but look @frontiergirl53 . Closet/gardening shed? Notice her location ... :) some of us in arid environments can get away with things I bet others cannot.

Now, I have to say -- I'm not especially forgiving of myself if I don't use seed in a couple of years. What? Didn't I like that variety? So, if I didn't really like it in 2009, am I gonna come around to deciding I really, really want to grow it in 2015?

I try to buy more seed than I need for a single season. Few things are more frustrating than planning on 50' of something and finding that I've got enuf seed for 10'! I also wanna cover my mistakes (or, cruel fate) and re-seed immediately if something goes wrong. Waiting 12 months when I don't have to, isn't part of my gardening plan ;).

I get away with ordering too much seed because the outdoors has 20% humidity most summer afternoons. By Golly, my house has about 20% humidity during winter months, too. Didn't plan it this way and my chapped digitS would prefer it otherwise. If we don't get some rain or snow - I gotta get the outside water back on and water the lawn!

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Nyboy ... Sounds like you need to get yourself a seed box, or get yourself out there and plant 'em. ;) Don't throw them out, :eek: ... ship them off to a friend at the end of the season.

I keep mine in a Rubbermaid container or two. I printed out a seed longevity chart, just for basic reference to test them for viability. I keep the tub in my cool utility room.
Seeds that I harvest myself are in canning jars in the frig.

Latest posts