How do you successfully transplant Lavender?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I bought and am growing inside 3 lavendar plants. They all look very healthy. I've tried it before, but my herb bed soaks their feet too much, and every attempt to grow them there has failed. :hit
I'm thinking about transplanting them THIS time next to the house. I have a ~ 3ft. bed that surrounds my house, and is boxed in with a cement sidewalk. The house is old, so you walk up 5 steps to enter, and the ground slopes away. In essence, it's a LOT drier than my herb bed. Previous owners planted arber vitae around it. They got REALLY tall, so I hacked and slashed them in 2011.
CisterngardenMay2011photo3.jpg

May, 2011
Some of them died---YES!!!! I'd like to pull 3 of the stumps out, like I did to clear out the arbor vitae that grew 7 foot tall on the south side of the garage!!!!! out...
May182012ALL8stumpsout.jpg

...and replace them with the lavendar. I KNOW I'm up for the stump removal.
Anybody here with any advice as I plant this Spring?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your plan sound goods to me...the hardest part (other than pulling the stumps!) will be hardening off those plants. Now that they are comfortable in the house, it will take awhile for them to adjust. I think they will do fine, in that area of better drainage. If they don't- they will be a lot easier to pull out than those shrubs! Good luck!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is May well after your last frost? If so, than that should be good. Just take your time and harden them off... Good luck!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
I don't! It's one of those plants that I've tried several times and just haven't gotten them to stick around and thrive.

Love, Smart Red
ditto wanted to grow lavender very badly, don't know how many plants I tryed before giving up.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hardening off is the process of setting the tender plants outside for a short time, then taking back inside. Lengthen the time spent outside to acclimate them to the change in temperatures as opposed to taking them from a warm, cozy inside enviroment to the harsh, cold outdoors. :tools

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
ditto wanted to grow lavender very badly, don't know how many plants I tryed before giving up.
Never say "quit". I haven't given up. . . yet. I just have been focused on the veggies and my forlorn flowers are showing my neglect. I hope to spend this summer -- and perhaps the next several summers -- redoing all the flower beds. I'm guessing that now I've retired (and on paper I've been moved up to a warmer zone) I should give lavender another chance.

One of these days. . . . .

Love, Smart Red

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
Hardening off is the process of setting the tender plants outside for a short time, then taking back inside. Lengthen the time spent outside to acclimate them to the change in temperatures as opposed to taking them from a warm, cozy inside enviroment to the harsh, cold outdoors. :tools
Do you think I should do this with the rosemary sprigs that are rooting in my window???