How do you successfully transplant Lavender?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
ohhhhhhh I never prune lavenders anymore!

Sometimes they don't have buds on the sides!

At least look closely before pruning to make sure it has side buds!

Maybe my experience is odd. I wonder what experts say about it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Well, I guess I'll just go and remove the stumps and plant the lavendars there, then figure out how to box them in for next winter. The stumps are looking pretty stupid bc of the other evergreens that survived.
Sure nice to get your good advice. :D
I'll give you progress reports.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
ohhhhhhh I never prune lavenders anymore!

Sometimes they don't have buds on the sides!

At least look closely before pruning to make sure it has side buds!

Maybe my experience is odd. I wonder what experts say about it.
I'm certainly no expert, but I have found that light pruning is beneficial. I deadhead the spent blooms an inch or two lower than the bloom stalk began in summer and then leave them to winter. In the spring I wait until I see new buds emerging on the stems and clip them back so that there is a good four inches off buds and leaves above the old bare wood.

I've found that they put out good growth this way and they don't get so rangy and unkempt looking. It also serves to keep them a little bushier so the snow load doesn't snap branches.

No hard pruning, lavenders seldom sprout from old bare wood. And unfortunately they are mostly not long lived.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
There are three widely known species of lavender, which are English lavender, French lavender, and Spanish lavender. However, it is the English lavender plant, that finds a place in most households across the world. Summers are ideal, for the simple reason that lavender needs a lot of sunlight. Do not plant lavender in any shaded areas of your garden. If you're keeping it indoors, place it on a windowsill, where it gets enough sunshine. If you live in areas with very hot temperatures, ensure that you keep the plant in a shady place during the afternoon to protect it from burning.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever grown the very pretty Spanish Lavender Nelson?

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i enjoy lavender alot. i've been remarkabily unsuccessful growing it. i'm a zone 7. i've finally got two going that have been in for awhile. they're in beds that have gravel for mulch & i turned alot of gravel into the soil as i was prepping the hole. both are on a slope. i think i've found my formula. fingers crossed. :fl

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd think Lavender would almost grow wild in texas.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i moved a potted lavender into the ground today - not sure of variety.
you would think it would grow easy here, but alot of our soil is clay - they sure do hate clay. i've had more luck w/spanish than any other kind. i gave up for a few years & now i have three plants. fairly young, but still doin ok.