How do You Use Ginger ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night I was at the supermarket. I had a upset stomach, when I pasted by the ginger root, a llitle voice in my head said get some for my stomach. When I got home I realized I had no idea what to do with it. Do you peel it, cook it, chop it up, what do you eat it with? Clueless about ginger.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can cut it up and use about a tablespoon in boiling water for tea. Or maybe put it in a cup of mildly flavored tea, like chamomile, for upset stomach.
Lots of other ways to use it, but this is the easiest/quickest, imo.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would, if it's not organic, especially. Lots of recipes say don't bother peeling, because you are only steeping it, not eating it. Also, peeling gives more exposed area to extract the flavor/essence from.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We always have ginger in the fridge. The only thing I ever do with it is make tea. We never peel it and we always keep it in a jar submerged in Vodka to keep it fresh. I slice it very thin and put three or four slices per cup of water in the microwave until the water comes to a boil. I allow it to steep for 5 to 10 minutes. A little sugar and drink. Some people put a shot of Vodka in each cup but I don't like alcoholic drinks so that's not for me.

My wife has tried to make gingerbread with it but has not perfected it yet.

Dad has a ginger patch growing out back but I remember him saying that it does not grow very well here.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
one thing before throwing it in the tea give the slices a few good hard whacks with the back of a heavy cleaver (or if you have on, a meat tenderizer) that helps break up the fibers and release more juice.

If you have a LOT of ginger roots you can try and get some sprouts off it. That is a good way to get some growing but the real advantage is that the sprouts often give you a small amount of young ginger (whiter thinner skin) which often has a lighter fresher taste.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm a fan of ginger. Usually, it is an addiction in chicken soup. Egg drop soup is terribly simple and a slice or 3 of ginger makes it special.

There is nearly always a root in the basket beside the kitchen sink.

I should learn how to dry ginger since I will use it fairly often in baking, including pumpkin pie, of course. I will happily substitute ginger for other spices in some things.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm simple. I like it in ginger molasses cookies. Kid#1 made a really good rub/marinade for grilled steak with fresh ginger one time.

If you choose to peel it NYboy it can be done very easily by rubbing it with the side of a spoon.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
About the only time I use ginger is when I add it to teriyaki sauce along with brown sugar to marinate my chicken in before grilling.

Mary

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
yup. what thistlebloom said about peeling it, just scrape it with the side of a spoon. and as pulsegleaner said it is easy to grow. i had some on the shelf that sprouted so i put it in some dirt, watered it ever so often and taadaa, fresh ginger. i love the stuff. slice it really thin for the tea, cook it in carrots, dry it in the dehydrator and keep it for a long, long time. hope your tummy is better!

Latest posts