How dry should green beans be when picking them for seed saving?

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Should they be hard and brittle brown?

What happens if you pick the pods that have gotten "wilty" feeling but are not brittle but you can feel a large seed in there? Are they still viable seeds if allowed to dry for a few weeks in a container?

Can green pods be picked and allowed to dry some in a basket and then remove the seeds from the pods?

What has your personal experience been with green bean seed saving?

I look forward to receiving some guidance from all you folks out there! I trust your judgement.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've picked them both ways. Sometimes if they've wilted, they can be moldy inside, though. I picked and shelled regardless of the condition of the pod-- and sorted out the good ones. I only had a few that were damp or moldy. The rest went into a container with silica gel ( sort of container in a container--- cloth bag with the seeds inside a container with the gel), to be sure they were all dry. I did this a few years ago and the seeds are still as good as they were on day 1.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with nettie- your idea of a "container' doesn't sound good. They really need a lot of air circulation, until they are completely dry. I usually put mine out on a tray or plate, until they are dry...remove seeds from pod first. I am in zone 4, and often have my beans reseed themselves. Good luck with your seed saving!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very likely brings in a humidity concern . . .

Probably aren't too many better seed-saving regions than here. I know that we haven't had 1" of rain yet this summer - and we are just now entering the really dry season.

If you pick them too early the pods can be kind of tough even when fully dry. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference unless you want a couple pounds of seed.

I like to pick the pods just as they are reaching the time when I can crush the pod in my hand. !crunch! At that point, I can just blow the pod away and be left with the bean seeds in the palm of my hand.

If they aren't quite to that time, a couple days laying on newspaper in full sun will do it.

Steve

Latest posts