How is your garden doing so far?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hattie, I bet you've got more than a chance :tools!

I live only about 150 miles from Walla Walla, WA . . . wa! . . . :lol:

However, that doesn't mean that I know what they are doing down there :p.

It has been my understanding that seed is planted outdoors in late August as the summer cools and rain becomes possible. The seedlings overwinter and are transplanted to the fields in the spring.

So, I've done that. And, it hasn't worked. Altho' sometimes it works fine. Walla Walla has a zone 6 winter, I believe. Here, it is colder and minus 15F (-26C) isn't too uncommon. About 2 times out of 3 when I've planted in August, the plants quickly bolt to seed in the spring. One time out of 3, the plants grow normally and make large bulbs.

I plant onion seed in late winter in the greenhouse now. This year, the plants were to go into my large veggie garden and went out late because of the late arrival of the "tractor guy" to till the ground. I don't think they will make large bulbs this year. But, I do have Walla Wallas that were started by a farm in Texas and were planted earlier in my little veggie garden (tilling is done with a spading fork ;)).

The Texas plants were about pencil size when they arrived. They had something of a tough go of it this year but most came out of it fine. These are making LARGE bulbs. This Texas outfit is only 45 miles north of the Mexican border and I bet those plants were growing right up until they were pulled for processing and shipping. I wish I could get them that large in my greenhouse before setting out but they'd probably need to be planted in January. I don't turn on the heat in there until March.

My suggestion is that you plant your seed as soon as you think the scorching weather has passed. Then transplant the seedlings to proper spacings very early in the '10 growing season. And, you may also want to sow some seed in your greenhouse for insurance. Best of luck, Hattie :)!

Steve

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Steve :frow

Many thanks for the onion info. I love Walla Wallas so I will definitely give them a go. I'll let you know how it plans out.

Re this years experiment -- my melon plants are still small but healthy looking. Unfortunately the weather has turned cooler & very wet but they say it will be a bit better this weekend. :fl :fl I have had fleece over them & the peppers.

:rose Hattie :rose