How is your garden doing so far?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah! HiDelight!

Probably he was just trying to be funny and has very little idea about things horticulture.

And besides, it's YOUR garden and yard!

I no longer know where I wrote that I was concerned about my eggplant and peppers suffering from several weeks of cold, clouds and wind. I was thinking that the egglplant may need to be replaced. I'm happy to report that the current heat has brought them right back to vigor!

The peppers . . . not so much. I tilled in some fertilizer beside those scrawny things.

With distant gardens, I have to schedule activities and remember to bring necessary equipment/supplies. The eggplants look ready to face the challenges of the growing season but the potato bugs may soon make life miserable for them.

If anyone knows how long Colorado Potato Beetle Beater is a viable bug killer, I'm curious. I don't know how many years ago I bought this bottle. Didn't use it at all in 'o8 but it hasn't failed to kill the pests off when I have used it (usually takes spraying twice). Now, I just have to remember to bring it with me to where it's needed.

Meanwhile, miles away, my potatoes haven't a single potato bug :cool: .

Steve

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I thought my garden was beautiful :(

and I am not a sensitive person by nature to be honest ..I am pretty thick
but ...
today my jobshare guy/best friend told a patient "yeah you drive up to her house and see all these things that look like big weeds all over the place and go figure she has a name for everything!!!"

I think I was insulted!!!!

I think it is a pretty yard!

tomorrow I think I will hit him upside the head for that

huh?

I am seeing lots of baby beans now :) he can bite me when he wants some!

the photos are amazing I have to take some and share so you guys can judge if it looks awful or not!
You have to feel sorry for some people - they don't know what a plant looks like!! vs a weed!! So sad.
I hope you educate him!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:

but ...
today my jobshare guy/best friend told a patient "yeah you drive up to her house and see all these things that look like big weeds all over the place and go figure she has a name for everything!!!"

huh?

the photos are amazing I have to take some and share so you guys can judge if it looks awful or not!
Well, if you don't hit him upside the head, I think there's a line forming to do it for you and I'm at the head of it! :hugs No beans for him! :old :gig

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
HiDelight said:

but ...

huh?

Well, if you don't hit him upside the head, I think there's a line forming to do it for you and I'm at the head of it! :hugs No beans for him! :old :gig
Yeap, I am right there with ya with garden signs to whap him with :smack here's your sign
So if ya can't teach em, well then beat em :smack :lol: :lol:

:happy_flower Karan :D

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there HiDelight! :hugs

He is very insensitive! :barnie He may not like your style of gardening but he should not hurt your feelings about something you care so much about! :barnie

You have such a beautiful garden which you are right to be proud of!

Other people often think their way of gardening is the only one which is worthwhile -- I have learned over the years that gardening encompasses so many styles, interests etc. & that is what is so interesting & beautiful about it.

Don't be upset, just go out into your yard, breathe deeply, and enjoy it. And when you have calmed down, gently tell your friend just how upset you were (& tell him he isn't going to get any beans ). ;) :gig

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG you guys thank you for the support I did not expect such a reaction but it is nice to know and feel the kindred spirit here!!! :love..you can see some of my garden last year in my flicker site below..I have many more raised beds now and 495874 things that need doing!!! ..but it is a work in progress and there are lots of flowers this year!

it is pretty I think :)

today I pick the last of the strawberries currents and cherries (I can not believe they are done already!)

still eating greens ...baby carrots ready ..more beets ...

and I am trying the New Zealand spinach ..what a pretty green it is ..not much taste to it but I like the texture!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there! :frow

My garden is looking somewhat battered! :barnie After about 2 weeks of hot, dry weather we have had 3 days of very heavy rain showers alternating with sun but the harm has been done by the strong winds snapping heavily laden fruit trees & bushes. One of my newish apple tree has lost a limb -- it just snapped. Shame as it was covered in ripening apples. The raspberries are also suffering -- the rain is welcome as there is lots of fruit to come. I will climb into the middle of them to do a big picking session tomorrow as we promised more settled weather.

Good news; my Dorking hen "Julia" who hatched 5 chicks on the 28th of May, & is still looking after them, laid an egg this morning........!!!! I couldn't believe it. She has been out & about in the garden & I did see her being chased by one of the Dorking boys. She is only just one year old herself, having been hatched in early July '08. :celebrate I hope her daughters are as forward as she is -- they are certainly putting on weight fast. I love Dorkings -- I have Silver-Greys & both the males & females are very beautiful to look at & gentle birds.

Tomorrow I shall finally take out the broad bean plants & the peas. Both have been prolific & well worth growing. I can then plant "Savoy "& "January King" cabbages (these were started by my oldest neighbour who always gives me my starters. I give him broad beans in return & climbing beans. My second sowing of corn is doing well -- the first lot is mid thigh in height & looking great. I have runner beans " Painted Lady"(one of our heritage beans) I shall pick some on Sunday: they should be big enough by then, especially after the rain!

I ordered seeds of my Chinese greens for the autumn garden -- they should arrive within 7 days. I also ordered seeds of ASPARAGUS LETTUCE Cracoviensis. I had never heard of this plant. Planted now it produces lettuce but later it bolts & grows an asparagus-like spear......?!

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/cat...=1906&osCsid=ba9075fa2316c55570f9298c46cc1545

http://www.wildgardenseed.com/product_info.php?cPath=71&products_id=87

So who could resist that curiosity --NOT ME! :lol:

I'll let you know how it goes!

Happy gardening & EATING! :frow

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled most of the shallots today. There are some from Prisma sets that just seem too green to pull but the French gray are mostly flopping over :th.

I really like shallots. They aren't very productive but they're pretty special in the kitchen. Like most onions, they allow the weeds to invade their space but the purslane is just starting to open their yellow flowers and their neighbors, the shallots, are ready to harvest. Rrrrriiiiiiippppp! Unhappy surprise for those weeds! The bed will be cleared and replanted to bush beans after the soil on the shallots dry a bit so that I don't carry so much of it away when I tote them out. (The purslane can be toted to the compost. ;))

The scallions have been available for harvest for about a week but it is nearly time for the Walla Walla sweets to flop over also. Both of these have required a bit more weeding than the shallots since they stand longer in the garden. The green onions from sets are long gone, these are the ones from tiny transplants out of the greenhouse.

Yukon Gold potatoes look like they want to flop also. It won't be 2 weeks before I may as well harvest those spuds. I'm feeling real good about the potatoes this year - fertilizing before and during the growing season really seemed to make a difference in the growth of the foliage.

Still waiting on my late planted peas but the vines on all but the most late planted look great. We are about to have a thunderstorm and I'm a little concerned about the wind. Three of the beds needed extra string on the trellises and I only got that done on one. If the forecast 35 mph gusts don't flop them over - I can get that task finished tomorrow. About as late as I've ever waited for peas but, as you can see, they'll be along just at a good moment for creamed peas and new potatoes!

:woot

I've been tying string in the cutting garden so my snapdragons don't flop over . . . Just managed to drag myself out of the Lazy-boy where I'd, uh, flopped . . .

Steve :old

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Steve :tools

Ha! I beat you by a day -- I got my Dutch Shallots out yesterday & they are drying off in the little greenhouse. We have had bad rainstorms & high winds too. Can you give me any advice about growing Walla Walla onions from seed? I love the taste of them & I've got some seed coming soon. Do I stand a chance of growing them here? :frow

Latest posts