How is your garden doing so far?

beth1966

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well, compared to the rest of you our garden is getting a slow start! Since I had surgery a month ago my husband has had to do all the cooking, cleaning, yard care, and most of the care of the animals. And he's working full time too. I'm still not allowed to lift, twist, vacuum, pull, or push, or drive. I have another month until I can go back to work. So I've hated asking DH to do anything. But on Mother's Day he planted the beans, cukes, corn, peppers, and herbs for me. Everything is pretty tiny since they just went in. Tomatoes and peppers are still in the house, waiting untl they are bigger and it's a bit warmer at night. Here's a pic of the chicken side of the garden:

5685_dscn0875.jpg

And here is the garden side:
5685_dscn0876.jpg

Since the gardening has been so slow, I've been enjoying the iris that are blooming:
5685_dscn0873.jpg

Happy gardening to you all! I sure am enjoying the neat pics you've all posted!

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beth so sorry you had to be recooping at this time instead of winter. But I am glad you are recooping. :) And it was nice of your DH to plant up some garden for you. That is a keeper ya got :hugs Looks like you will have a nice garden area and I am sure it will be growign green in no time :watering Your Iris sure are beautiful :love :clap I am waiting for mine to bloom they are getting closer. :rainbow-sun

Happy Gardening all :coolsun

:happy_flower Karan :D

beth1966

Leafing Out
Reaction score
:)
Thanks, Karan! I was supposed to have surgery earlier, but actually I'm glad it worked out like it did. Even though I can't get down and dirty the weather is perfect, not raining and not too hot yet. And the chickens provide a lot of entertainment for me. Husband gets me set up in a comfy lawn chair under the shade of an apple tree with a cold soda and a stack of gardening mags and books while he mows and trims. Yep, he's a keeper all right! Garden will take off for sure soon! The iris are one of my favorites as the deer don't touch them! And there are so many beautiful varieties! Post some pics of yours when they bloom!

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I will do that. :) But they won't be as pretty as yours are, my peonies are by them also. I do have a couple of newer ones I planted last year I am anoxous (sp?) to see. Yeap, a man that makes his wife comfy and does chores is special :love

Well I am going to head out to the greenhouse and get some English Daisies started :celebrate

Stay comfy :hugs

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

We got rain and wind yesterday and looking for more today. Our garden is starting to take off nicely. I should be getting some radishes from my fence garden soon :celebrate
I planted up some English Daisies last night I can't wait to add them to my front yard plantings :clap
If possable I am hoping to get my straw bale garden area into place by the weekend But we really want to move the duck shed as we take the straw bales out. So it will be a work day for sure. I will go ahead and start my asparagus beans to be ready. ( I should have already done it :smack :th )

I hope everyone finds some sunshine :coolsun today in some form or another :frow

I will check in later today :caf

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Karanleaf! :frow

It's raining here at last but not enough to do much good -- may-be over night will be better. :idunno

The book I suggested you read; the letters between Beth Chatto & Christopher Lloyd is called "DEAR FRIEND & GARDENER" Letters on Life & Gardening Published 1998 by Francis Lincoln ISBN 0 7112 1227 9

The two books by Beth Chatto that I enjoyed most are "THE DRY GARDEN" & "THE DAMP GARDEN"

All of Christopher Lloyd's books are worth reading. He also wrote every week for one of our Sunday papers & when he died a couple of years ago it was such a shock for us. It had always seemed he would live forever -- he was such a life force! :bow

Are you opening your greenhouse for sales every weekend or just on special public days or by appointment?

My peas have got to waist height now & the broad bean are now way over that & flowering really well. My runner bean which I sowed directly into the soil are a foot up their poles. No Black Fly have appeared yet; they are the enemy of Broad bean growers. That's why I have been spraying & watering with my Grandfather's mixture. It's certainly smelly enough -- Phew! :sick

Happy Gardening everyone :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Good to see all the pictures posted lately. I need to post an update on my garden. Maybe tomorrow. We've had a couple of dry days, so I finally got some things done outside. The grass was tall and had to be raked, so I mulched several things in the garden. Unfortunately rain is forecast from today until Tuesday.
My tomatoes survived their first entire day outside. Hopefuly they can go in the ground this weekend with some peppers , squash , beans and other things.

This has honestly been the wettest spring we've had for years. I'm really hoping it doesn't turn out to be a bad year for blights and mildews. I've got enough going on without having to deal with THAT.

Anyway , I hope everyone is well and having a good week!

Happy gardening! :ya

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau :frow

YES! That's it.

I'm sure you will love it . Do you know their work. Maybe you went to Great Dixter, Christopher Lloyd's garden & nursery when you were on your horticultural tour here. It is the most beautiful 16th Century house & the garden is stunning. Since he died his head gardener is trying to keep his ideas going. I love his book called "The well-tempered Garden"; he had a wicked sense of humour & a sharp wit. He was always very keen on a lot of strong colour so was often at odds with other gardeners here. He also dug up his parents famous rose garden a few years ago which upset a lot of people. As it's a sunken area he decided to fill it with very colourful exotics ( well exotic to us). He had a wonderful huge "wild " meadow, full of snakes-head fritillaries, cowslips, oxlips & various native orchids.

Oooh! The sky has brightened & the drizzle has stopped; I'm off out to pull weeds. Bye :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts