How is your Tomato Harvest Going?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
5947_tomatoes_003.jpg

These are the winners in my garden this year! Maltese (thank you Steve!) They averaged a pound and a half! Each tomato was like 4-5 ordinary ones!

5947_tomatoes_002.jpg

The second best was the Pink Pearl (thank you again, Steve!) They are extremely prolific and grew without a blemish. They are perfect for canning whole. I grew some in the greenhouse (that is the smaller grape shaped one) and the others in the garden.

You will notice there is not a picture of my amish paste tomatoes- I bought the seeds, planted the plants- and have nothing even remotely like a paste tomato??? Don't know if it was the weather of Seed Savers sent the wrong seeds. Black Krim, did not perform well. I won't plant them again.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry- the captions are on the wrong picture! The small ones are the Pink Pearls, and the large the Maltese!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have beautiful plants and dont even have the end of summer brown leaves at the bottom, however, they
apparently dropped their blossoms during the awful heat we have had so I guess we wont have our usual
fall harvest, or
at least only a few.. bummer. The ones we had tasted great.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is my worst year ever for Tomatoes. Had 4 little "big boy"s. None of my heirlooms produced, or survived the goat-and-chicken attack of last week.

Next week I'm starting seeds for tomatoes that I'll keep inside during the winter. My plan is great tomatoes during the most cold of days. Gotta be better than what I'm getting now!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! That is great, Lesa!

I've kind of been avoiding this thread. It is 92F right now. Maaaybe, this heat (warmest day so far this year) will finally ripen a few of the larger tomatoes :rolleyes:!

I got a nice basket of semi-green cherries this morning but even the Sweet 100's seem in no hurry to ripen. Good thing the Sungolds have been plugging along with a constant supply of golden sweet cherries for weeks!

We've had a couple of the Rainy's Maltese. They are the earliest beefsteak again for 4 or 5 years running. But, there have only been a couple . . . We ate the 1 ripe Kellogg's Breakfast and I'll be darned if DW didn't give the 2nd one away!! She also gave the Dana's Dusky Rose away! The thing was getting darker and darker and I just knew it was ripe and I'd have a chance to try one for the 1st time . . .

The Woodle Orange ripened a tomato hidden down in the foliage - the sow bugs found it before I did. They are something of a problem because I've got the tomato patch near the rock pile and plum tree this year.

Buisson has ripened a number of fruits and I'm happy with them but those plants are really small any year and Alpine Summer, 2011 didn't give them much of a chance to grow many tomatoes. Anyway, there have been Early Girl and a few Big Beefs that have only been the size of an Early Girl.

I should have lots of ripe Big Beefs that are actually BIG one of these first days. And, there are more Kellogg's Breakfast and Dusky Rose out there.

Steve

ETA: I want to say something good about Sweet Quartz again. They aren't quite as pink as I'd hope they would be - but, they are a very, very nice cherry. Sweet! And, they have ripened right along with the Sungolds, I think it must be about 5 weeks runnin'!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is that "nice basket of semi-green cherries" and semi-green slicers amongst them:

DSC00263.JPG

The knife is just above a Maltese. It is pointing at what is probably the only Pink Pearl picked today (more green than pink). The 3 larger cherries above the knife -- no, they aren't Tiny Beefs! Those are Sweet Chelseas. I've actually had maybe a dozen of those nice jumbo cherries.

That's another Kellogg's Breakfast touching the Maltese and a green (with blush) Goliath embedded amongst the cherries.

Steve

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Stubbornhillfarm..do you pick your tomatoe alittle on the green side? or is that just the photo?

Mary
No Mary...they are definately on the green side! My tomato plants have been consumed by blight and there are practically no leaves left on them at all. :( I am trying to salvage what I can.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My harvest from two days ago and I have more to harvest. The large ones are the chocolate strips, 2 small round ones Riesentraube , and the others the hybrid/hybrid cross/volunteer:
Tomatoes+8-24-11+003.jpg

And I've got more to harvest today.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today's harvest (the big green things are 8-ball squash), there was a couple more tomatoes but they where rotting/ had a lot of damage and went to the chickens, I have a couple of mortgage lifters that should be ready soon as well:
Tomato+and+8+ball+squash+8-26-11+001.jpg

Latest posts