How late is too late for tomatoes?

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I live in zone 9A. I am thinking of doing a second planting of tomatoes in about 3 weeks so we will have tomatoes through the end of fall.

Has anyone else in this zone tried this?

This is my first year gardening in this zone. We only moved here a year ago & it's very different from anything else I have done before.

Thanks!

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm going to be putting in more in a few weeks. My Romas are starting to fizzle out so I'll need more for that space. I'm here in zone 8a, so I'm sure it will work where you are.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I am going to do that too. Our plants usually fizzle out before frost. They may still have a few green maters on them but small, usually. We generally have glorious fall weather here, dry but sunny and invigorating. Maybe better for gardening than this summer seems to be turning into........Hope springs eternal from the gardener's heart.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sometimes the weather conditions will help a late planting. But just a little. Hours of sunlight per day is usually, for most plants, the determining factor in whether the new plants will thrive or not. Some plants can tolerate short days but I don't think tomatoes is one of them. Since you're in a very warm climate artificial light my be your only key to success.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am zone 7B and not too late to plant tomatoes! I get lucky enough to have tomatoes all the the end of the year !! I got cherry tomotoes in a large pot and covered them up at night, that can last longer than that !!