How long does garlic take?

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have some garlic planted and I have no idea how long it takes until harvest. I know I need to wait until the tops die off, but how long does that usually take?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted garlic last October and harvested it and hung it up to dry this past week end. It did not do as well this year as the previous year. Not sure why.

I don't know when you planted yours or what time yours will be ready. Different climate.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
I have some garlic planted and I have no idea how long it takes until harvest. I know I need to wait until the tops die off, but how long does that usually take?
There are a lot of different strains and climates vary. It normally takes Spring till late Summer. The strain I have is a soft neck and comes from Gilroy, the garlic capital of California. It's fast. I planted it in early March and the tops have already fallen over and started dying. I'll probably be curing it in a couple of weeks.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It takes however long it takes in your area with your year's weather :p

Mine isn't usually ready to pull til late July or early August but I believe there are some on this forum who are pulling their garlic *now*.

You don't want to wait til the whole top yellows, just the bottom few leaves (I have been going by the rule of "when there are only 5 green leaves left"). If you wait too long, it starts to burst its wrapper and will not store well at all (though you can still freeze or dry or pickle it of course, or use it fresh)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I plant in October too, and I harvested the first week in June here. They really only form bulbs and actually GROW in cool weather. Once its hot they stop and just bolt.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted mine in late Feb. I do see the tops of a few of them starting to yellow... maybe it won't be too long now.

RAY2310

Sprout
Reaction score
We have been picking some for the last several weeks. It's not mature yet but we needed it. My wife calls it spring garlic.

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've enjoyed growing garlic for the last 10 years. I have about 300 plants in my garden right now and here's what I can share.

There are many different garlic varieties. Some mature earlier than others and are ready to harvest in June, others in late July. It depends on the variety you planted. Scrape a little soil away from the base of the plant and see if the bulb has formed. If not, gently replace the soil and check again in about a week.

Pat's advice is good. DO NOT wait until all the leaves turn brown or your garlic will split and not store well.

Garlic is a facinating plant to grow. I grow an early variety (doesn't store more than a few months) and several varieties that are long storing. I usually have enough garlic to last me the year until my next harvest.

the lemon tree

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Has anyone tried growing them in containers? I'm wondering how well they'd do.

Latest posts