How long does it take for potatoes plants to show through the planting

VT Chicklit

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted my potato sprouts on April 19. I planted them in a 30 in diameter cylinder made from small grid fencing. The medium I used to plant in was a layer of compost (2 inches) a layer of staw (2 inches) then the sprouts, another layer of straw (2 inches) and another layer of compost (1 inch). My sprouts were regular household potatoes that had sprouted. I cut them into pieces about 2 inches in size with several sprouted eyes in each piece. I have been sure to keep them evenly watered and I look every day for signs of life. How long will it take before I see the leaves emerge so I can cover them again?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They should be coming up pretty soon. I think I took mine like two to three weeks.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted mine April 11. Since then, we have had wildly fluctuating temps from mid-80s to mid-40s for highs. I just noticed the very first of my potatoes peeking out today, so I'm thinking yours should be soon! :)

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted the sprouted store potatoes, too. They took about 10 days, but we're already warm and humid. I had gotten seed potatoes, cut them, set out to dry- and they rotted. :th

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Funny that is when DH planted potatoes too...have yet to see any sprouting...hope they come up soon...fingers crossed... :fl

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted fingerlings about mid April and I have yet to see anything. I go out to check everyday. Everything else has sprouted through except those durn taters!:fl

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I planted mine about the same time too and have yet to see them, but I accidentally unearthed a piece of potato from my last year's potato patch and it was just starting to root and produce a shoot, so I think it will be another week or so.

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mine took a long time too, maybe 3 to 4 weeks.

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think I planted mine in the first or second week on April and I am just now seeing them today. And they havnt all come up yet.

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I put 25 seeds in on 4-11 and about 15 are up so far. I've got room for about 15 more but it's way too wet in the garden right now.

Latest posts