How much are seeds costing you this year?

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I figured out who I am ordering from this morning, which changed when I figured out Burpee's prices. But total it looks like I'm going to be paying about $84 for seeds and seed potatoes when I order.

So how much are you going to be spending on seeds? Or just in general this year for your garden?

Amyh

Sprout
Reaction score
I'm spending about $40 in seeds and possibly $10 in some starts. I think that's it. My rabbits, chickens and compost bin give me my soil amendments, so that won't be anything except muscle when we move it. We will borrow a nice big tiller from a neighbor in a few days and then use newspaper as our mulching as well as tons of oak leaves from our lovely yard. :)

Andy J

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've spent about $60 so far.These are seeds I ordered from Baker Creek and Heirloom Acres that I can't get locally.These should last me 3-4 years,even after giving a good bit of them to friends.

I get my summer garden seeds locally,usually spending $10-$12 on these.I grow my own set plants and save any open pollenated seeds that I can.

Seeds have increased in price greatly in my area in the last couple of years.

Andy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, please, don't make me add it up.... It's around 100.00. And that is before I have set foot in a garden center! Good thing I save so much on groceries!!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've found that I can buy seeds locally much cheaper than through magazines. Example is our Menards will sell seed for about 40% off of list price.

Bought some generic seeds for $.10/pack. Always load up when I can. If stored correctly seed will store for years.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
If I can scrape the cash together, I'm looking at spending about $50 on some medicinal herb seeds from a seller I found on ebay, going to start getting a tea and medicine garden going. They've got good sized packets for a dollar each, so I should be getting 40+ different things.

Since Arizona food stamps allows me to buy vegetable seeds and plants locally, I'll probably spend $100 or so of that on seed packets and some starts, I'd rather grow my own than eat most of what's in the produce aisle these days. Hopefully I don't get dropped from the program, they're cutting people left and right and I've been out of work two years now. :/

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I kept a good stash of heirloom from last year, but with a horrible season I didn't get to save on much. So I'm going to be spending about $10 max.

More heirloom, so if I'm happy I will save the seed for the following year rather then buy then too.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've only spent $13 for far this year :D

The only thing I have left to order is my sweet potatoes. That will be another $10. The rest I trade and swap for.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Average about 20 bucks on seeds. Don't grow a big variety and garden isn't that big. Many types of seeds I use for 2-3 years so don't need to buy them yearly. I save some, but re-buy hybrids, things that don't mature in our area, and things that would end up rather unpleasant if the bees had dirty feet. Not sure how good a Japanese squash x zucchini would be. LOL

Zucchini, bush bean, pole bean, snap pea, snow pea, 4x tomato types, Japanese squash, chard, beets, spinach, potatoes, corn, forget me nots, nasturtium, basil, chives, asian veggies ... that's it.

I spend more on potting soil and containers to make starts than I do on the seeds.

ohiogoatgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
this year is myfirst year with more then 3x15 ft of space and i'm going to be saving seeds for the years to come from this garden. so here it is... about $90... not including sweet potatoes, white potatoes, and seeds saved from last year... and i need to buy hose... :hide

Latest posts