How much pound wise of produce should you have before selling?

SouthernFarmer1984

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My tomatoes have started coming in and yesterday I harvested 2 lbs of Banana Peppers and I'm hoping the Cayenne and Bells are right behind them.So I was wondering how much should I have on hand before advertising that I have them for sale? I figured I need at least 10 lbs of each produce.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a good question.

I think it has mostly to do with your willingness to stay around to meet the customers who show up. What is that worth to you? Twenty dollars a day, fifty dollars, a hundred ..?

If you have something like lettuce that needs washing and is real perishable, so if they don't show up - your work may go for nothing, well lettuce is one thing. Peppers have a little more of a future and require less work ...

I used to get kinda impatient with a guy who would drive about 50 miles to a farmers' market with $200 of produce and then complain that he didn't make $400 :rolleyes:. You aren't likely to sell all of it but at some point you just have to put a pencil on a piece of paper to figure out what the value is.

Never think that the consumer "deserves" wholesale prices unless he is buying in wholesale quantities.

The "industry" operates on an economy of scale. It has a network of machines from irrigation systems to 18-wheelers to atmospheric controlled storage. Washing veggies in a tub for less than minimum wage isn't much fun or rewarding.

I'm curious what experiences growers have with people showing up at the gate looking for produce to buy. Personally, I'd prefer they didn't and just wait for me to bring it to them!

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have a family down the road that has a roadside stand. I have never found it to be open when I wanted something. I leave the approx. money with my name and phone number and help myself. Haven't had a problem. . . yet.

I really haven't checked prices with local groceries or other roadside stands. Most of what is offered I am growing myself, but the occasional zucchini or sweet corn is easy and close.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A older man on my road puts a folding table at end of his driveway. Early spring he has tomato plants, later on tomatoes and a few other vegetables, there is a cash box on the honor system. I once asked him if he was ever shorted money, he said never but many times there was extra money left.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree with Steve. How much depends upon how much you value the experience. If it is about the money, then it is more about the value of what you are selling than the amount-although they can be related.

A lot of people use honor system. Indiana must have more dishonest as some are shorted.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can also go out to sell it. Most small businesses have an office staff who are delighted when someone stops by selling fresh vegetables. Walk in, be polite, ask permission to bring box of veggies in or ask if they are interested.

I've worked places where people stopped by selling produce, tamales and baked goods. We couldn't wait to run outside to buy vegetables or fruit from the back of a pickup truck!

Latest posts