How much soil does grass need?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a low spot in my yard, that floods in heavy rain. I am going to fill it with iteam 4. Going to top it off with soil, would like to plant grass. How deep do grass roots need?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What is the soil like under where you will be filling? If it's clay you may have a problem, otherwise it should be fine. With sufficient water grass roots need very little soil. Many times I've seen grass growing on only a thin layer of soil on top of a concrete slab where it stays damp.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What is "iteam 4"? Some sort of aggregate?

If it is freely-draining, you may have trouble growing grass on top of it unless you have a fair bit of soil. I'm not even going to *guess* at a number because it depends on HOW freely-draining, where the water table will usually sit, what your rainfall is like, and what kind of grass.

If it is something clayey or humusy you won't need nearly so much depth of soil but should generally figure on AT A BARE MINIMUM 2-3" and if htat's all you have and the grass can't root down below it, you are likely to have your grass brown off or even die off during prolonged droughts.

BTW before filling low spots make realllll sure you've (correctly) figured out where the water will go INSTEAD. Sometimes the answer is somewhere harmless; sometimes the answer is your neighbor's veg garden and he'll be super pissed off at you; sometimes the answer is your own basement and *you'll* be super pissed off at yourself ;) Maybe you've already checked this carefully, of course, I'm just makin' sure :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you very heavy clay, but yard slopes down to creek. every time it rains ,creek over flows. I would like to raise bank of creek and plant grass.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. Once it gets far enough along to form a good root mat grass can sail right through a flood without being harmed.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ohhh... I have to get my hubby to answer this one! He works for *a lawn company that shall not be named*, though we morally don't approve... a job is a job in these times. He knows this stuff about lawns though! ;) I'll try to pick his brain. :rolleyes:

nicktarabay

Sprout
Reaction score
How much deep will the sand go? you should also be using some fertilizer on it as well, to help the grass you put there grow. I will recommend that once your done with levelling the lawn, you aerate and over-seed the entire lawn, it will not take much time it you have a mechanical aerator, if not, you can always rent one from one of the construction equipment rental companies in the area.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Ohhh... I have to get my hubby to answer this one! He works for *a lawn company that shall not be named*, though we morally don't approve... a job is a job in these times. He knows this stuff about lawns though! ;) I'll try to pick his brain. :rolleyes:
Voldelawn? *giggle*

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
vfem said:
Voldelawn? *giggle*
:yuckyuck

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took the advice of members here and ordered Buffalo grass seed. By the time the seed came I was burnt out, I just threw the seed down. Couldn't believe how good it grew!! This was at a home I only use a few days a month so only water was from rain. It is to early to tell how it made though winter.

Latest posts