How much winter squash does everyone grow?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew butternut squash last year, and ended up with 23 squash (after I shared a few). I thought they would be good keepers- and boy were they!! We ate the last one, this month. It was still absolutely perfect. I expected at least a soft spot, or something.
I did not wash the squash, just kept them on a shelf in the basement. I have about 5 hills planted this year- they don't look fabulous. I will be very sad, if I don't get a nice crop. It was mighty handy having produce in the basement!

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lol - classic newby mistake here - i was looking at posts and answered w/out seeing the date

glad i dug up the old post lol

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now don't be naughty and just slip away . . .

About these chips - the squash is raw and just salted before going in the dehydrator?

. . . or, what?

Steve

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Naughty, I'm glad you brought this old post up, too. I've wanted to grow butternut squash for years but have never done it. Maybe this will inspire me to go for it. I will have to go check out when to plant them here. . .

Steve, I love Kabocha, too. That's great that you can get it to grow in your area.

Lesa, how cool does your basement stay? I would have to store my squash in the closet in the laundry room. It stays a pretty consistent temp all year, but I doubt I would get the length of storage you get from your basement.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have a thermometer down there- but it is chilly. I would guess 45 to 55 depending on the outside temps. The other thing I like to do with it, is bake it (I just wrap foil around the whole squash and cook at 375 until it feels done), then I dig it out (saving the skin and seeds for the chickens), run it through the food processor and freeze in serving sizes. You might store them in your closet until you see them going toward old- and then cook and freeze remainder.
You guys got me so excited about butternut squash- I put three more hills in today!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awww.. ducks and chickens are so useful for excess! :) And cute to boot!

I haven't planted yet, but I like to have at least 3-4 butternut squashes in the ground, going to attempt acorn again. We got hit with the borers last year.... so no telling yet if it was enough for us or not. We barely got 2 squash from each dying vine when all was said and done. I need to me squash ravioli come winter! ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the borers didn't bother butternut?? They liked my summer squash, and pumpkins- but left the butternut alone....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
It was my understanding that the borers didn't bother butternut?? They liked my summer squash, and pumpkins- but left the butternut alone....
Oh, they destoryed my butternuts!!! They left the acorn squash for last. :he

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i mostly just sliced em and dehydrated em in my handy dandy ronco dehydrator- they got forgotten and got really really dry ... lol

they were really crispy but they had a great flavor to em

Latest posts