How much winter squash does everyone grow?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
My butternut went crazy last year. We got almost 50 pieces, ranging from large to small. I dipped about 20 into a very weak bleach solution and some of them are still fine. The ones I didn't wash rotted and are still rotting. We don't have a basement but kept them under our deck where it was in the hi 50's all winter.

I would have cooked more this winter, but with propane being so high in price (over $3 a gallon), we tried to conserve to save money.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like your suggestion about cooking and freezing once they start to soften a bit, Lesa. I think that would work for me, since I don't have anywhere as cool as a basement for storage. Now to figure out where and when to plant!!! Based on everyone's comments, it looks like how much is impossible to determine, so I'll just wing it!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When we made our own baby food for my daughter I planted extra butternut and acorn squash plants. I can't remember how many plants but I know we had plenty of it. When it was time we took the squash chopped them up (removing the skins I found was easier once cubed up as it was one more cut rather than peeling), steam till fairly soft, then puried them. If the texture wasn't where we wanted it we'd add the water from the bottom of the steam pot so we were not losing any nutrients either. Froze it in ice cube trays from the dollar (got 4 trays for a dollar) store then once they'd set up we popped them out and put it in gallon sized ziplock bags and labeled. Each cube was 1oz. so we knew exactly how much she ate at a sitting. Worked out great. It was not something we looked forward to doing because the prep work was no joke but when you do a batch of 20 squash at a time you learn how to do it pretty quickly.

We paired it with a number of other foods like chicken that we roasted, apples (which went through the same process), to name a few off the top of my head Once made it was super easy we'd warm them up, and serve. Or if travelling we'd put them in a cooler lunch pack and take them with us.

It made a big difference for us. Not only did my daughter eat food that we knew was good for her and not processed into the ground but it also saved us a TON of money, and made the transition to table food very easy since all that changed was the texture. We plan on doing this again when its time. It was well worth it looking back on it.

edited for spelling

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have one hill of acorn squash 3 plants...I have no more room for any more and this is the first time in many years doing winter squash...
I do like the idea of cooking and freezing...if it works out this year I will have to try planting more next year...

Thanks for bringing it back around...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, I just said it on another post and I'll say it again- I like the way you think!;) What a perfect way to feed a child! Good for you. I made my own baby food, but I lived in a tiny apartment and couldn't "grow my own"!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you Lesa, that really means a lot. Its good to get some support when your doing something unconventional.

Latest posts