How Often Does This Happen To You ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
About a month ago I was in a dollar store and found folders with puppies on them. I thought they where prefect for the paper work that goes with selling a puppy ( I used plain ones) At a $1 each I bought out what they had. I put them away to say nice and fresh till needed. Puppies are going to their new homes this weekend. I have looked everywhere and can not find the folders :he:he:he The store is up by country house and might not even have any more. I know next week they will turn up

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
always the last place you look. :)

you don't have a filing cabinet?

i am a clutter person, but because i rarely move things i tend to remember where i've put them. i describe myself as a horizontal organizer and out of sight is out of mind. some projects i have had sitting on shelves for several years before i get back to them.

when i clean and re-arrange it really messes up my system as i have to remember the chain of movement (it used to be here, but i moved it there...).

the past month with the new computer parts and me now getting rid of half a closet full of stuff i have also been consolidating boxes from 20yrs ago and shredding papers. it's getting kinda scary...

keep looking when you get a chance. actually doing a search in small bursts may be more brain efficient. like try to retrace where you were that day and may have stashed them... or ask someone else if they've seen them, perhaps moved them... eventually brain may go "ah ha!" when you are doing something else. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is not being able to find things you've put in a safe place unusual? Usually the most obvious safe place that occurs to me when I'm stashing is the least logical seeming when I eventually find it.

Maybe you have been picturing the bag they were in (or whatever) wrong. I'm very visual and if I'm looking for a certain "remembered" color I can pick up and put down the object a few times before I realize it's the thing I was looking for.

Hope you find them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last place you look -- of course.

Looking. Remember that we have "muscle memory." Eyesight is controlled partly by muscles. Moving things and placing them requires muscles.

Take a break. Go outside. Remember how you parked your car that day. Don't make too much of an effort - be distracted by hyacinth sprouts under the shrubs, a birdsong, or something.

Recall your task. Imagine that you have the item in your hands and hurry back indoors! Stop.

What are you looking at? There is a good chance that the location is where you have placed those things.

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Years back I had a little scribbler kept in a kitchen drawer for where I stored items that weren't in use, it worked pretty good, never lost a thing with that little reminder but, doesn't help with things I sit down only minutes ago. You know that safe place that everyone has.

Out in the garden I have three spots where I will leave things like snips, my favorite trowel etc. If I have to leave for any reason, this I religiously do, it really works well but I'm still looking for a pkt. of bean seed received in trade back in 2013, I know where I put it but I ended up in hospital, when home I went looking for it, gone, someone had done me a favor and did a little straightening up while I was away, seeds, what seeds, I didn't see any seeds. It was a mix of different colors I didn't have of the bean variety Tennessee Greasy Mix.
Pencils have a habit of disappearing around here, The one on my desk was always missing, not anymore, it has a string attached to it and is tied to a screw in a bookcase next to my desk, hasn't gone missing since, I also have a pencil on a magnet kept on the side of the fridge along side the grocery list.
My very own tape measure and screwdriver went missing from where I kept them, I bought replacements, they are secreted away, only I know where they are, this was a couple of years ago, guess what I still have them and know where they are;).

It's the things I put down absentmindedly I have a problem with, I usually find them but after much muttering and searching.
Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Muttering helps.

"Okay. They aren't here in my hands (;)). Where?"

"Where?!" That last "where" is usually a little demanding but I try not to be too hard on myself. Just doing the best we can. ... I've always been this way, as best as I can remember ;). Dad would send me for a tool. I'd tell myself to relax! Invariably, that tool would be with lots of other tools. Relax, relax ... See them as individuals. Think about size and shape.

;) Steve

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm in your boat, NB - If I don't hang onto something in my hand, or put it between my teeth, I invariably set it down to go get my purse, and then forget it. Sometimes I's so smart that I put the item in my back pocket, get to town and curse cus I can't find it. Whoops...its in my back pocket I find out later. Drives me NUTS>

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Make a list of ALL possible places that you could have put them, inCLUDING your car!! We are ALWAYS behind on our straightening up chores, so you are NOT ALONE!!! :hugs:hugs:hugs
I have the area right now cleared and ready for my next gro light on my basement shelving unit. WHERE?!?!?!?!? did I put it?!?!?!? :rant:rant:rant
Prayers sent for you to find them toDAY. That would add such a touch to the occasion.

Latest posts