How old are the seeds you just bought?

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
once you have enough of them growing it's not too hard to get new ones, it seems like i have a few show up each year and most of the time i don't take them apart from their parent bulb for a few more years.

I think your method is key here. They like being grown in close quarters, undisturbed. If I can get some of my crosses to actually bloom in a few years I will be popping bubbly to celebrate-- and will be sure to share photos!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
IF mine lives I will KEEP it. I had a good thing going, bloom to die back, planted in a sunny garden spot, pulled out, dumped all of the soil off of the roots, put back in the dry pot on it's side in the dark basement, then cycle again.
I left it with DD, and she abused it. :eek:
I don't try to tell anybody how to garden or tell anybody how to take care of their horses, anymore.
Still, I'm not upset.
SHE was disappointed bc the one year it bloomed it did so with gusto, in her ASA office and EVERYBODY came by to watch it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
IF mine lives I will KEEP it. I had a good thing going, bloom to die back, planted in a sunny garden spot, pulled out, dumped all of the soil off of the roots, put back in the dry pot on it's side in the dark basement, then cycle again.
I left it with DD, and she abused it. :eek:
I don't try to tell anybody how to garden or tell anybody how to take care of their horses, anymore.
Still, I'm not upset.
SHE was disappointed bc the one year it bloomed it did so with gusto, in her ASA office and EVERYBODY came by to watch it.

kinda like the expression you can lead an amaryllis to water but you can't make it bloom...

Latest posts