How to get rid of an unwanted bush

sebrightlover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have no idea what kind it is ... was here when we moved in, and I don't like it.

Easiest way to get rid of it? Just dig and dig until I'm pretty sure most of the roots are gone? It is right beside the concrete driveway, so either I'm gonna damage the concrete tearing it out, or its gonna keep growing and damage the concrete itself.

If anyone is near West Virginia and wants an unnamed unknown bush, come get it ;)

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If it is privet get all the roots out you can. It will be a drawn out battle even after you do so.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cut it flush w/ the ground. Dig out however much of the rootball you can (optional but recommended unless you want a possibly long seige). Then every time you see new growth coming up, and you should check every 2 wks or so, whack the new growth off flush with the ground. Lather rinse repeat til it gives up. This works with perennial weeds likw thistle too. But sometimes it can take literally 2 years of biweekly chopping.

That said, if you can identify the shrub it'll be easier to say how hard it'll be to vanquish. Some things will roll over and die pretty quick; others will demand vigilance and patience.

But vigilance and patience will get 'em all in the end.

Look out for suckers springing up many yards away - some shrubs are sneaky that way!

Pat

Txchikngardners

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We get rid of pesky bushes and small tree volunteers by:
* cut the roots back and dig out around the root area about 4-5 inches
* prepare 3-4 cups of boiling water with 1/2 cup of salt and 1 tablespoon of red pepper
* pour directly onto freshly cut root area

Works every time for us - grass usually appears the next year but the shrub/tree never does. Think this will enable you to continue your organic quest?

Good luck!

sebrightlover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Pat and Tx :)

I will try to get a pic and post it, maybe someone can ID the offender! I just know it gets in the way of the car and the Forsythia bush!

Mothergoat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Borrow someone's propane torch, and cook what is left of the roots until it surrenders. I love my torch. Mua-ha-ha-ha!! :cool:

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
strap a chain around the base and pull it up with a fourwheeler (careful chain doenst come off and hit you in the head). a tractor with a front end loader will work too and may be safer. you can also just use a truck. or dynamite if it is indeed privet.

Latest posts