How to get rid of "Dr. Huey" without killing beautiful roses?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would this be Multiflora Roses? They were planted years ago by the conservation department in an attempt to stop soil erosion and define grazing lands, and provide wildlife habitat. Kinda like the Kudzu of the North....with thorns.
I think probably the only way to get them out is to grub them out, and get all he roots.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's different than our wild roses. Ours are Woods rose (Rosa woodsii, I think )
they are pink and smell nice, bloom once and come up here and there. They aren't hard to get rid of though.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, Nyboy. So weird that I've never seen this rose before, and I have traveled widely. LOL!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I just love my yellow knockout rose. ONE SEASON of pampering and it grows huge and wide and keeps on giving back. I bought a nondescript clearance red rose last Fall---lost the tag, so I cannot identify it---and it survived to bloom this year. I have it 3 1/2 feet east of the yellow knockout.
Don't forget that roses LOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEE fresh or dried out horse manure. I dump it fresh by the roots and they flourish.