How to grow a gigantic pumpkin?

MeanQueenNadine

Leafing Out
Reaction score
bluebird said:
I have seeds from a giant pumpkin too! I need to harvest the seeds, if they aren't already frozen. Then I'll plant them in May and see what happens!
Even if they have frozen a large majority of them will remain viable. So GO FOR IT!

edit FROzen not forzen....sheeesh!

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello again...thanks for all the great info.......I heard today that some people put a soaker hose around the base of the pumpkin plant before it becomes established.Has anyone else heard this and also to use alot of well rotted manure in the soil.

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I saw a TV show once about giant pumpkin growers. The ones on the show waited until a few fruits had formed, and then pinched off all but the most promising one or two. Then they built a little shade house over the pumpkin, but not the rest of the vine. (I guess the fruits have a tendency to split) They fertilized with manure and watered constantly.

My son read somewhere about feeding the vine milk. But there was some weird method to it that I can't quite remember.

You should count yourself lucky to have those seeds. I think some growers consider them proprietary.

Chicken Boy is right though, don't start them until spring. You could start them inside a week or two before you wanted to plant them outdoors to give them a little head start, but they will not do well indoors for a long period of time.

EurekaSouth

Sprout
Reaction score
Check out gardeningbythemoon.com - I think that's right.
I'll check it out myself to make sure and if it's not right, I'll get the right one for you.
guidingstars.org

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's a great link JC! My neighbor's daughter tries to grow a winning pumpkin for the county fair every year. I have to show her that article.
8. PRUNE VINES. Begin pruning vines early in the season to discourage random growth and an out-of-control patch. Prune each main vine when it has reached 10 to 12 feet beyond a set fruit. If you have a pumpkin on a vine that is 10 feet from the main root, cut the end of that vine once it is 20 to 24 feet long. Let side shoots off the main vines get no longer than eight feet before cutting off tips. Train side shoots so they are perpendicular to the main vine to accommodate access to the vines and pumpkins. Bury the ends of cut vines to reduce water loss.
My neighbor is breaking the vine too short, right near the first pumpkin. Thanks again!

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I grew an Atlantic Giant pumpkin last year that went about 200 pounds. It came up in a pile of composted horse manure. The plant started growing a full month after the ones we actually planted and it out grew them very quickly. I made small raised beds(2ft x 2ft) for each of the pumkin hills and used a planting mix with water absorbing polymers. This it will be done the same way but with the addition of losts of composted horse manure. Being in eastern Colorado(zone 5) I start the seeds in the ground and cover them at night if needed. We have even had many vines grow right up the nearby trees and produce pumpkinsover 8 feet off the ground.

Latest posts