How to grow seedlings with strong healthy stems under lights?

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wsmoak,

I think your biggest problem is too much heat.
Cool season plants like broccoli, Spinach, Cabbage etc. will get too lanky an spindly when they get too much heat when there young.

Chris

mare

Leafing Out
Reaction score
People laugh at me when I tell them this, but it works for me. Pretend that your the wind as your seedlings grow. In other words gently pass your hand over the tops of the seedlings. This will make their stems stronger.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mare said:
People laugh at me when I tell them this, but it works for me. Pretend that your the wind as your seedlings grow. In other words gently pass your hand over the tops of the seedlings. This will make their stems stronger.
That makes sense. I have a fairly strong fan on them when the lights are on, originally to keep the temperature down and prevent disease with good air flow, but it also moves them around quite a bit.

I'm very happy with this first set of tomato seedlings:

110302_4590 by wsmoak, on Flickr

They're all from Park Seed, and only one of 15 didn't germinate. (I only put one seed per cup, I'd rather re-plant than be forced to kill one of them if I plant two and they both grow!)

-Wendy

mare

Leafing Out
Reaction score
They look great wsmoak! I understand about not wanting to kill any of them because of extras in the pot. I did a video for my Master Gardener meeting and at one point during the video I had to get rid of extras :( and my husband said that I sounded upset when I did it. I was!

waryyear950

Sprout
Reaction score
I start about 80 tomato plants every year and I still can't pull any out. I try to find people to give them to,and spots to plant them. lol !

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
waryyear950 said:
I start about 80 tomato plants every year and I still can't pull any out. I try to find people to give them to,and spots to plant them. lol !
I am the same way. I planted two seeds in each pot then would divide them into two differnt pots and have way too many tomatoes. This is I am cutting way back. I only planted the number of tomatoes I actually wanted and then I had to plant about 10 extra last week because I didn't like a few of them. But I am still not throwing the ones I don't like out. Why???? No idea.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wsmoak - I have the same concerns. I have two wooden boxes of my most treasured heirloom tomatoes that are about 2" tall right now. Our weather here has been absolutely terrible (rain, rain, rain) for two weeks now and I have not been able to get these plants outdoors to get the much needed sunlight and to start to harden. The tiny leaves are starting to get very pale and some of the leggy stalks are drooping.

I'm worried about these little guys. One box is "Mortgage Lifters" and the other is "A German Tomato". The mice got into my seeds over the winter and these are my last ones. I'm really bummed because I have had this heritage going for over 16 years now.

GEDC0518.jpg

GEDC0517.jpg

Since my series of strokes I have had to use these wooden boxes to start my seeds because my hands shake so much I could never get my seeds into the little peat-pots that many of you use. I would have an even bigger mess than I already do. You guys would laugh if you could see me working on my gardens. It's hilarious! Stuff goes flying everywhere :/ .

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no Smiles! I hope you don't lose those babies! Can you get a shoplight or something on them for more light, or get somebody to help you pot them up into bigger containers?
I would be so sad to hear you lost them. :(

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started lettuce in a flat and then scooped the seedlings out with a big spoon to go into bigger containers.

I bet at least some of those would survive if you get them re-potted and under lights. And you only need one to get some tomatoes and keep it going!

-Wendy

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Oh no Smiles! I hope you don't lose those babies! Can you get a shoplight or something on them for more light, or get somebody to help you pot them up into bigger containers?
I would be so sad to hear you lost them. :(
Yeah I always start my tomatoes inside and place them under lights. You just need a strong florescent light ($7-16) at walmart depending on the size. Put them about 2-4 inches under the light and they need about 5 minutes with a gentle fan to simulate the wind.

Latest posts