How to heat a green small greenhouse.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What I have thought of is raising tilapia, @flowerbug :).

Since I know next to nothing about raising outdoor fish, and little about aquariums, I would probably just drain the tanks for irrigation in the summer.

Outdoor humidity certainly isn't a problem here. Air movement is a good thing. I'd want the tanks protected from soil and water from the flats of plant starts above them.

Steve

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My 6x8 greenhouse that I bought 3 or 4 (or was it 5?) years ago was finally built in December, as a sort-Christmas present from the spouse. We have put gravel about 6 inches deep inside, and will be outside, after tying it down with lag bolts to a 4x4 treated frame, which will act as a thermal mass. Been monitoring with a big dial thermometer, and so far, it stays about 10 degrees warmer than outside during the day. Hubby plans on using a night vision scope to read it during the night, lol.

I'll start my seeds inside in the kitchen, again, this year until we are sure the greenhouse maintains a decent enough temp to not hurt new seedlings. I have two seed mats that should help for the time being until my inner engineer comes up with a grand plan for low cost heating. Solar panel maybe?.....

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
BDA065AA-7977-4887-82E6-054BC8CA58B6.jpeg

I’m nearly finished setting up the green house. I’ve just got to run the cord for the heat lamp and put some bricks around the side. I ended up having to put duct tape around the windows because they had gaps around the edges but that’s really my only complaint. It was extremely easy to set I even managed to put the cover on by myself. All in all it took around 2 hours.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What I have thought of is raising tilapia, @flowerbug :).

Since I know next to nothing about raising outdoor fish, and little about aquariums, I would probably just drain the tanks for irrigation in the summer.

Outdoor humidity certainly isn't a problem here. Air movement is a good thing. I'd want the tanks protected from soil and water from the flats of plant starts above them.

Steve

the real booger with water tanks and pipes is that if there is a chance they will freeze then you can be in trouble. for water tanks that are a closed system where you're not worried about having to use the water again you can do some kind of anti-freeze.

i've only had indoor aquariums and reef tanks and never been able to do any kind of natural pond here (too many raccoons). tilapia is a relative of the oscar and i know enough about oscars as a friend had one in a 30 gallon tank for a while. what a monster it became.

Latest posts