how to make a negative into a positive

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, i've been struggling to be 'as productive' as i can at work but they finally let me go. so that's the negative.

the positive, i get a vacation from busting my behind trying to get billing out the door for them and now i might see about doing something i would much rather be doing. i'm planning on running over to the local greenhouse and putting in an application with them since i know their spring starts early with starting seeds. i figure i need to have a job again where i'm on my feet and busy instead of sitting on my duff 'billing my brains out' as one of my big bosses used to proclaim.

i may just start up a small business starting and selling plants. i've been wanting to do this for years but because i'm so busy with working while my hubby was in and out of work, it got put on the side burner.

it also gives me time to get my house organized and areas i had started painting done finally. we moved in late August and we had to rush that so a lot of projects didn't get finished that were started.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Woohoo ChickiesMoma! I think that sounds terrific! Working at the greenhouse should be fun, hard work and educational too.
I worked at a greenhouse for 2 years and loved it. Your plan for starting a home business sounds like a winner a too. I'm a big fan of working for yourself.
I wish you all the best! You can do it! :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was thinking of starting some seeds i have for pond plants that i could eventually sell. there aren't many pond plant suppliers in my area anymore. just one of the local farms that sells other plants and the greenhouse i want to put an application in with. i like this greenhouse since the guy that does the pond stuff brings his dog in with him. they also have a cat that keeps their greenhouses clear of vermin while enjoying the sunny spots and people that meet her.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickies, I believe that when one door closes another opens. It's good that you'll be getting a much needed rest before your new adventure begins. I hope you get that job at the greenhouse. If you do, maybe you could work part-time so that you can start your own business?
You have a positive, can do attidude and I believe you will succeed.

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a great attitude... Every year I pass our nearby greenhouse, and hope and wonder how I could ever manage to get a job there in the spring. So far, it hasn't worked out. But the idea of being inside those warm, bright greenhouses with my hands in the dirt- sure is appealing! Wishing you all the best. Dream big!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pot Party!

Sure, there's lots of work at greenhouses coming up. Just don't let them set you off by yourself. You can have a lot of fun even if it's repetitious work of putting plants in pots all day ~ if'n you've got fun people to work with!

Chickie'sMoma, I was looking again at one of the most interesting sources for seed: J.L. Hudson, Seedman (link). If you think you can sell unusual things, look at what that seed company offers. Lots of strange stuff . . .

Steve ;)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i was thinking of starting some seeds i have for pond plants that i could eventually sell. there aren't many pond plant suppliers in my area anymore.
Did they go under or just stop carrying the products? Not as many people keeping ponds? Or was it the overhead in a floundering economy and ponds are considered an "extra" so they bailed on them?

If you can get a job at a greenhouse maybe they'll sell your pond plants? Never hurts to ask. Maybe they buy from you, or maybe the just make them available and they take a cut? Get the word out, grow something a little different. Some heirloom varieities that you like and can tell people WHY you like that variety. Maybe its color, or the flavor, or whatever. Last year there was a guy at the farmers market selling the yellow doll watermelons. Folks went bonkers for them because you could get them earlier than the other varieties. He was ALWAYS sold out often with repeat customers.

You've got options and you can do what you love doing. Thats huge. Keep us posted!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
i was thinking of starting some seeds i have for pond plants that i could eventually sell. there aren't many pond plant suppliers in my area anymore.
Did they go under or just stop carrying the products? Not as many people keeping ponds? Or was it the overhead in a floundering economy and ponds are considered an "extra" so they bailed on them?

If you can get a job at a greenhouse maybe they'll sell your pond plants? Never hurts to ask. Maybe they buy from you, or maybe the just make them available and they take a cut? Get the word out, grow something a little different. Some heirloom varieities that you like and can tell people WHY you like that variety. Maybe its color, or the flavor, or whatever. Last year there was a guy at the farmers market selling the yellow doll watermelons. Folks went bonkers for them because you could get them earlier than the other varieties. He was ALWAYS sold out often with repeat customers.

You've got options and you can do what you love doing. Thats huge. Keep us posted!
the guy that was the big seller of pond plants, supplies, installing and maintaining them was retiring and moving. he was also having some health problems that were starting to take their toll on him. when he stopped selling his plants and services it was just before the economy took it's nosedive. he sold off the landscape part to someone i went to school with. he sold the plant part off to the local farmer down the street from his house/shop, but her prices are crazy and she is not too familiar with pond plants-she told me this herself. i can get most of my pond plants cheaper from the big green house or even cheaper from one of the online suppliers. but most of those places don't carry a lot of the local plants that are perennial and/or hardy bog plants. i do think there are less people keeping ponds now than when i started doing them 17 years ago.

i may also see if the local lady that sells the pond plants might be interested in someone who has more knowledge about them working with her. i have a lot of knowledge about herbs and she was impressed with this and always recognizes me. she sells a lot of heirloom varieties and even though she's not certified organic she grows them organic.

i had luck years ago when we did a flea market selling perennials along with other items. my dh was always impressed when i would bring them how quickly i would sell out. other people at the flea market would also bring their plants or veggies and sell out quickly too. we tried to not compete or undercut each other on prices so it made everything fair since it was a small parking lot of vendors. if a customer wanted to haggle over a price we'd let them. selling plants at the flea's were easier than having to join the local farmer's markets and all the political aspects of those. you had to pay a fee just to be a member and then another fee to just sell at one of the markets.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Maybe that's it! Maybe the universe is saying, no more excuses.... this is your moment to shine! :D

Though I know its probably slightly overwhelming at the moment (we've been in and out of work for 5 years now without more then a 6 month stretch of employment so I completely understand what you are saying), but you're going to do great things. :D

So I wish you nothing but luck in your ventures! :fl Remember, you got us. :tools

Latest posts