HOW-TO: Make seed tapes

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
ducks4you said:
Rock ON, damummis !! :ya Couldn't be CLEARER with those photos--thanks!
Ditto and your nails look great for a gardener too. Mine never look that good even when I wear gloves. :thumbsup
I forgot to mention I am a licenced manicurist. :D

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, it shows.

Hey, do you have to plant the tape right away or can I make this up and then store it for a couple of weeks? I would like to use this with my lettuce but I can get into my garden for a least a couple of weeks. It is a snowy swap right now and it is supposed to start raining tomorrow and continue through Monday. I may need to stop planting and start buildling an ark.

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
Wow, it shows.

Hey, do you have to plant the tape right away or can I make this up and then store it for a couple of weeks? I would like to use this with my lettuce but I can get into my garden for a least a couple of weeks. It is a snowy swap right now and it is supposed to start raining tomorrow and continue through Monday. I may need to stop planting and start buildling an ark.
I do them ahead. They store well.

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
An awesome idea!!! And to think I have all the supplies and don't have to purchase anything...even better!

Thank you so much for posting this.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought I would revive this thread since this is something I just learned about today! Didn't even know what "seed tape" was until I saw someone post about it over on BYC. I am about to get started preparing seeds for this year's vegetable garden. For those of you experienced with making/using seed tape, I am wondering, will it work well with seeds that are traditionally started in pots/cells, such as tomatoes and peppers?

This is going to be so awesome. My carrots and cabbages are FINALLY going to be appropriately and perfectly spaced!

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! I love this idea for small seeds! I've never used seed tape before, so please excuse the stupid questions, but do you plant with the paper towel on the top, or the seed on the top? I'm trying to picture roots or stem breaking through the paper towel. . . . :hu

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good question. Maybe for this you might grab a roll of super cheap paper towels from the dollar store? The ones I use are pretty strong too, although if it's only 1/2" wide the roots could just go sideways a little and then down. -Wendy

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
Wow! I love this idea for small seeds! I've never used seed tape before, so please excuse the stupid questions, but do you plant with the paper towel on the top, or the seed on the top? I'm trying to picture roots or stem breaking through the paper towel. . . . :hu
When I make seed tapes, I get strips of white toilet tissue and cut it down the center lengthwise, so I have two strips about 2" wide and 4 feet long each. Then I fold each of those in half lengthwise again, unfold it, put my dots of flour/water paste close to one edge, add the seeds then fold it over again to seal it. This is basically the method I use:

http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2011/09/make-your-own-nifty-seed-tape.html

I do not use commercially-prepared glue as the person in this article does, however. I use a mixture of cornstarch, regular all-purpose flour, and water.

I've never used paper towels for making seed tape.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok, so the roots just find their way out. Sounds like you could even use biodegradable toilet paper or something like that. Very interesting. . . .

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
Ok, so the roots just find their way out. Sounds like you could even use biodegradable toilet paper or something like that. Very interesting. . . .
Most toilet paper is designed to break down fairly rapidly/easily in septic systems and sewers, so it also breaks down quickly in the soil, as well. So in a sense, by design, most toilet paper that has no lotions or fragrances or inks added to it is relatively biodegradable anyway.

I use the cheap Angel Soft or Scot tissue, but I think pretty much any cheap, plain white tissue will work. Heck, use the generic stuff from the dollar store!

Latest posts