HOW-TO: Make seed tapes

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think this is the most amazing tip I have ever come across online. Yep going to do this in the evenings, I hate to thin and this will save lots of time planting this spring. :thumbsup

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay, quick question for those of you who have made/used seed tapes in the past.

Do you find it takes them substantially longer to germinate? As an experiment, I put a radish seed tape in my covered seed bed, and in the next row, I put a few seeds directly into the soil. The direct-sown seeds now have greens/tops after only 2 weeks that are about 3-4 inches tall. The seed tapes haven't done ANYTHING. No sprouts, no nuttin'.

Any thoughts from those with experience using these?

Thanks.

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:
Okay, quick question for those of you who have made/used seed tapes in the past.

Do you find it takes them substantially longer to germinate? As an experiment, I put a radish seed tape in my covered seed bed, and in the next row, I put a few seeds directly into the soil. The direct-sown seeds now have greens/tops after only 2 weeks that are about 3-4 inches tall. The seed tapes haven't done ANYTHING. No sprouts, no nuttin'.

Any thoughts from those with experience using these?

Thanks.
Now I am rethinking making seed tapes. Too much work for no germination!

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have good news! They are just slower to germinate, probably because of the tissue breakdown. But they are germinating & I have sproutage as of yesterday afternoon! Green onions & brussel sprouts are peeking out the soil!

I was so happy, I was dancin' a little diddy there in the garden.

:tools

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:thumbsup
grow_my_own said:
I have good news! They are just slower to germinate, probably because of the tissue breakdown. But they are germinating & I have sproutage as of yesterday afternoon! Green onions & brussel sprouts are peeking out the soil!

I was so happy, I was dancin' a little diddy there in the garden.

:tools

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would like to take this opportunity to share my experience thus far with the seed tapes.

On my first planting, I planted homemade seed tapes with snow peas, kale, green onions, and brussel sprouts. It took them a few days longer to sprout, but they did sprout & are doing GREAT (the green onions are a little slow, but they're onions)! On my second planting, I put in kohlrabi, bok choy, and radishes. At this point, those also have all sprouted (well, only a couple of the kohlrabi have sprouted, but I did plant those 2 days after the radishes & bok choy). These seed tapes are planted in a prepared seed bed that has an over-wintered mixture of soil, sand, alpaca fiber for mulch, a LOT of alpaca and chicken poo, and compost from our compost tumbler. It has been cooking in that bed since last September/October, and I started prepping it for planting about 2 weeks before I actually planted. We built a makeshift cold frame with 2x4s and 4 mil plastic over the entire 3 x 16 foot bed. It's about a foot deep.

Using the seed tapes, the seedlings that are coming up are already perfectly spaced, and I will not have to thin down the line. This is going to save me a lot of work over the planting season, and I am totally convinced now that homemade seed tapes are gonna be the way to go for me.

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:
I would like to take this opportunity to share my experience thus far with the seed tapes.

On my first planting, I planted homemade seed tapes with snow peas, kale, green onions, and brussel sprouts. It took them a few days longer to sprout, but they did sprout & are doing GREAT (the green onions are a little slow, but they're onions)! On my second planting, I put in kohlrabi, bok choy, and radishes. At this point, those also have all sprouted (well, only a couple of the kohlrabi have sprouted, but I did plant those 2 days after the radishes & bok choy). These seed tapes are planted in a prepared seed bed that has an over-wintered mixture of soil, sand, alpaca fiber for mulch, a LOT of alpaca and chicken poo, and compost from our compost tumbler. It has been cooking in that bed since last September/October, and I started prepping it for planting about 2 weeks before I actually planted. We built a makeshift cold frame with 2x4s and 4 mil plastic over the entire 3 x 16 foot bed. It's about a foot deep.

Using the seed tapes, the seedlings that are coming up are already perfectly spaced, and I will not have to thin down the line. This is going to save me a lot of work over the planting season, and I am totally convinced now that homemade seed tapes are gonna be the way to go for me.
I'm glad you posted, I have been debating seed tapes but now I think I will give it a try. I've got most my seeds started so now I can get the tapes done for the seeds I will direct sow. Thanks for the update.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought I would post an update on how my seed tapes are doing.

EVERYTHING I have planted so far has sprouted and is growing! Cauliflower, green onions, kohlrabi, bok choy, radishes, brussel sprouts, kale, and snow peas.

We are doing the same thing now with our flowers that we'll be planting between the rows of veggies as companion plants, as well as to help attract bees and pollinate the garden. I'm planting purple coneflower, lavender, hyssop, calendula, and johnny jump-ups, all of which are also edible flowers. Purple vetch grows wild all over the property, as does miner's lettuce, so I have access to that all spring and summer. I've noticed the vetch is starting to vine and grow in the "wild spots", and the miner's lettuce has been prolific since January, even in the snow! It's my favorite lettuce now to put on sandwiches.

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Since the last post on this thread was in 2012, I debated whether to post here or start a new thread.

However, @grow_my_own did such a good job explaining her progress, I decided to keep this thread going.

I did seed tapes in 2013. Well, actually I made more seed tapes than I planted. Although, I did have good success with them. My carrots turned out awesome.

Back then, I used flour & water to make my seed tape. I just found the ones I didn't use. I made the mistake of folding them together in zip lock baggies. The flour glue is sticky. It feels like it was in a humid environment. The tapes stuck together, but I was able to pull them apart & flatten them out.

Now that we are getting ready to get a large garden going. With hand tremors, I ave trouble with seeds going all over the place. Seed tape solves that problem.

I have been wanting to plant some green bunching onions, out in our small starter garden - 10 X 12' and get some lettuce started in flats. So yesterday, I got my seeds out to make some seed tapes.

Last night I did some onion tapes. It took a while to get in the groove, but I think I'm getting there.

I started by mixing 1 level tablespoon of cornstarch in 1 cup of water, in a small saucepan on the stove over a medium heat. I stirred (with a whisk) constantly until I started noticing it was thickening & turned the heat off. I kept stirring for another minute, so the hot pan didn't over cook the mixture right next to the metal. Then I covered the pan & set it aside to cool.

When I was ready to make my seed tape, I got the following supplies out:
plastic pipette
tweezers
toilet paper (TP)
Scissors
Seeds

This first batch I folded it at each perforation & cut the TP into 3 strips. Now I'm cutting it into 4 pieces.
0403161740.jpg

0403161741.jpg

Before using the cornstarch I whisked it, to break up the clumps. Then I squeezed the bulb, of the plastic pipette & sucked up some cornstarch.

I then squeezed little drops, of the gel, on the TP. The spacing depends on the seeds. I drop one seed on each drop. Then I follow with the toothpick, to push the seed onto the gel.

The problem I had, was the gel matched the TP so well, I had a problem seeing the gel. So, I started trying to figure out how to tint the gel. I didn't want to use something (like coffee) that might be too acidic.

0402162050-1.jpg

Today when I went into the fridge, to get the gel, I saw the ketchup. Bingo - that was perfect. I used about a teaspoon & whisked it well. That gave just enough color.
0403161737a.jpg

The beauty of the gel is a little tweek, with a toothpick, encases the seed in gel, keeping it from coming loose.
0403161745-1.jpg

0403161733-1.jpg

The onion seeds, that I did last night dried nicely. They are flexible & not sticky at all. I was able to fold the 3 strips, that I made, and put them into a zip lock bag.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm a little more wasteful, I'm afraid. I'm using very cheap one ply TP, so I use the whole width of it, put my glue and seeds on the bottom half and just fold the top half over that part. I do that in 3 ft. strips and then lay them out on a surface to dry well over night, then just roll them up in a big ol' roll when putting them away.

I had been spraying a light flour mixture on the TP at first, but found that not to be glue enough, so mixed the flour mixture thicker and just tapped a dot on the TP with the use of a plastic spoon. Worked better and actually went faster than the spray bottle, even. Just scooped up half a spoonful of the goop, tapped the edge of the spoon on the TP at the right spacing all the way across, then dropped the seeds right on the glue spots. Fold the TP, press lightly on the seed spots and let dry.

I've been saving those little moisture packet thingies from various sources and keeping those in the box where I keep my seed tapes to absorb any excess moisture. It's working well thus far. These three foot sections are working well when planting and roll out nicely.

I'm loving the seed tapes for planting, but I've yet to see anything sprout from them yet...though I have checked under the soil and can find no trace of the TP at all now. Just dissolved like it never was. Guess that's the beauty of using really cheapy TP, huh? :D