How to prepair the ground for a new garden

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
dennis2021 said:
So I got the results for my soil.... Can anyone tell me what all this means?

Soil test results....

pH (1:2 Sample:Water) 7.9
A-E Buffer Value: N/A

MEHLICH-1 EXTRACTABLE

Phosphorus (ppm P) 86

Potassium (ppm K) 189

Magnesium (ppm Mg) > 360

Calcium (ppm Ca) > 3118

LIME AND FERTILIZER RECOMMENDATIONS
Footnotes are printed wherever applicable. These footnotes are an integral part of fertilization recommendations.
Please read them carefully.
Crop:Vegetable Garden
Lime:0.0lbs per 100 sq. ft. (1 Ton = 2000 Lbs)
Nitrogen:0.20lbs per 100 sq. ft.
Phosphorus:lbs per 100 sq. ft.
Potassium:0 lbs per 100 sq. ft.
Magnesium: (Mg) 0 lbs per 100 sq. ft.

Footnotes are printed wherever applicable. These footnotes are an integral part of fertilization recommendations.

Foot Notes:
Soil test values noted with a ">" sign exceeded the normal working range of our
extraction method and are interpreted as high or very high for P, K, or Mg. No
positive plant response to addition of the nutrient is likely. In some circumstances,
addition of this nutrient to the soil could be detrimental to plant performance or to
the environment.
simple, don't add anything. Your pH is too high, 6.8-7 is where you want to be. Manure will help bring that down. Calcium is high, shouldn't have to worry about blossum rot in tomato's. Only add nitrogen, if you see some yellowing of your plants and they are not under water stress--too much water.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm also fighting old established sod but nothing like 1/4 acre. Just an old back yard. I just go a shovel deep and flop the sod upside down then soak it down good. When it dries a little go over it with a heavy eye hoe and chop it as well as you can. Then repeat the wetting and chopping process - and repeat till the old sod has turned into humus. The results have been good so far. Knock on wood I have the best garden I've had in years. One tip. Because of all the decaying humus your soil may be a bit nitrogen poor for a while but a good fertilizing takes care of that.

dennis2021

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks eveyone! I am taking the soil results to the AG exstension today, so they can explain it to me.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
dennis2021 said:
Thanks eveyone! I am taking the soil results to the AG exstension today, so they can explain it to me.
Curious, what don't you understand? Be interested to read your understanding after your visit. Good luck

dennis2021

Leafing Out
Reaction score
*****UPDATE ******

A lot has happened since my last post here.........whats important though...

We have moved much closer to the property and are just about to be living there in a few months.
Also, I bought a tractor to clear land a move soil around. So I have a box blade with rippers.

So I have cleared an area that I will use for the first raised bed, I ripped the soil up and covered it with black plastic until everything dies.
Where to go from here I have not quite figured out yet.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Let it all die back till spring. Then cut drainage holes in plastic, build raised bed and fill.

Think small at first and add as you find your successes is my biggest thought. Raised beds are easier to maintain, but they dry out quicker.

What are you planning for irrigation?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Till or plow. Let the soil rest , then till in manure leaves etc. In New England we need lime added. Have you soil tested to see what amendments you need.
Compost, compost, compost.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you are making progress! Life is so much easier with a tractor! Keep us posted....

dennis2021

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Update Again.... We have cleared a 120 x 100 foot area, brought in some top soil to fill in some low areas. I planted some winter rye grass, then turned it in to the ground, made rows and planted corn in a 30 x 15 foot area. Slow growing so far, my father -in-law had the soil tested again by a feed store where he lives, was told the soil was "too sweet". Need to get it more acidic, is what he told me. What's the best way to do that?
Next part of the plan is to start building raised beds which will be the long term goal for the entire area.
Any advice would be helpfull.

I'll try to post some pics soon.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
working peat moss into the soil will lower the ph...ie... make it more acidic...mulching the garden with pine straw would also lower the ph...

Latest posts