How to prepair the ground for a new garden

dennis2021

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello and thanks for looking,

I have been reading lots of good info, but nothing about how to start from scratch. I have about 1/4 of an acre to work with. The area is already cleared out, but the grass and weeds are still present. I burned(not all the way down) and then mowed it, but thats it. Where do I go from here? Do I, burn it again( all the way down) then start with a shovel and put it in all the way pull back then pull out working backwards, or Do I get a machine and till, or turn, or ?????

Also the soil is almost black, pretty moist, in Oviedo Fl 9B.
Used to be a horse pasture years ago.

Thanks in advance,
Farmer D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like it will be a good spot, probably already pretty fertile. For one that big and this time of year, I'd probably go ahead and till it up and get a legume going on it, like clover (you're in a different zone than I am, so you'd do best to call your county ag extension agent for a recommendation of what to plant). Planting a cover crop will do two things for you--1)build up the tilth of the soil, and 2)keep the weeds out. You'll also want to get a soil test done (also via the ag extension) to see what amendments you might need.

ETA: and :welcome !

dennis2021

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So, will I be able to get a garden going this year? Also, if I plant clover, won't that attract deer? Won't that teach them to come to that location for food? How do I find the AG extension for Seminole county? Any other suggestions, I want to get started right away.

D

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Should be in town that is your county seat. Should be in yellow pages under State Government or county government.

Without knowing area or seeing ground, I'd till it up, take a soil sample, start planting as you are probably a lot farther ahead w/weather in your area.

If you see someone w/a beautiful garden, go introduce yourself, ask for advice. Most would be proud that you thought enough of their garden to ask for their advice.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For something that size, I am thinking a tiller or a tractor actually is your best bet at this point.

Is the ground level? Have you done a soil test? Do you need to amend the soil as well? I bet a call to your extension office is in store. ;)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a really really big area. Are you suuuuuure you want to try planting all that this year? Unless you are a super-type-A personality with LOTS of spare time on your hands, and a very good back, I think there is an awfully good chance it will all get engulfed in weeds and misgrown miswatered misharvested plants and you may have a very depressing experience.

What if you limit yourself to only an area of, say, 20x20 at the largest, this year. Then repeatedly cultivate the rest, tilling in a bunch of weed-seed-free manure and other organic materials, you don't even have to till them in if you can get enough to really blanket the area to smother most grass/weeds. Leave it til next year. By then, the soil in the rest of the 1/4 acre will be MUCH improved in all ways, plus you will have a reality-based idea of what area you want to tackle next year.

Just a thought, good luck, have fun,

Pat

dennis2021

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies so far. I have a 1/4 acre, didn't say I was going to use it all. It is pretty much level, it slopes a little. Haven't done a soil test, which is the best type of test to use, advice of any kind is great at this point. I will have to call the county tomorrow, see what they can tell me. My Wife and I just got the property, her father used to farm "back in the day" but he is the same guy whom lights his grill with gas. Bless his heart, I love him, but want a healthy garden. So I came here! We are pretty much all natural type people. BTW, I do have a lot of time, not so great back though(which won't slow me down). We are raising chickens too. I want to start small and add from there, I also have a 10X10 greenhouse, just got it today!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The ag extension can do a soil test for you pretty cheaply. Theirs is more thorough than any you'd buy in a store, because they will also tell you what your trace minerals are.

So your entire property is the 1/4 acre? I thought you meant you were tilling up a 1/4 acre garden. That would be a lot of weeds to hoe! ;) For something smaller and to work it this year you could add in composted manure (well broken down) and/or compost. Mulching thickly will help you manage your weeds. I use 1/2" thick layer of newspaper covered with straw, dry grass clippings, or compost. There are a lot of things you can use, depending on what you are growing and what's available to you.

The fall is the best time to break up a new garden plot, but if you just want to get a few veggies and things in for this summer, you could probably get away with it, adding compost as needed and mulching well.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is what I would do. Go to your local feed/farm supply store, the place you buy chicken feed and supplies would probably be a good place to start. Find the oldest guy there, most likely named Tom or John, something like that. Ask him what most people in your area add before they work the ground. Around here it's ag lime, so many pounds per ac., half acre, ect.
Add what they tell you then til in.
It wouldn't hurt to get a soil test kit and follow it's directions before you add anything to your soil. The problem around here is the length of time to get results back at this time of year.
Good luck and welcome.

THANX RICH

dennis2021

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well the property is about 4 acres, but the area I want to use is about 1/4 an acre. We don't have to use it all at first. I have called the Ag extension, but no answer so I left a message. What kind of stuff should I be asking? Would like to have a good list of things to go over, as to not waste time. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts