How to propagate currant bushes?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have two vigorous currant bushes, both a black and a white. They are doing well enough this year that I'd like to try propagating them by cuttings, especially since I recently read in a gardening book they are 'the easiest of all' to propagate in terms of the fruiting shrubs. Trouble is, the author did not provide details on how to do so. Has anyone done this, or have tips on how to go about doing it? I'm not sure this is the right time of year, but I'd give it a shot anyway.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have two vigorous currant bushes, both a black and a white. They are doing well enough this year that I'd like to try propagating them by cuttings, especially since I recently read in a gardening book they are 'the easiest of all' to propagate in terms of the fruiting shrubs. Trouble is, the author did not provide details on how to do so. Has anyone done this, or have tips on how to go about doing it? I'm not sure this is the right time of year, but I'd give it a shot anyway.

have not done this, seems pretty forgiving, hard to do with mid-summer heat coming on i would expect it to be tough unless you can keep the cuttings in a cooler location until they're rooted and actively growing. i did not read through the whole of the following... :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
THANK YOU @flowerbug ! Perfect! I read the whole article and they addressed every single question that was in my mind, even that it is fully possible to do cuttings mid-summer! Good news! It also mentions pretty quickly that they do well in damp and partly shaded areas - exactly the spot I had in mind for them! Wow, this was good news all the way around!

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've done it with black currants and also Jostaberries. It was very easy, just stuck some trimmings into moist soil in a pot. Pretty sure that I did it before the buds started to swell in the late winter or early spring, but it was a long time ago.

Latest posts