How to properly store Dahlia tubers for Winter?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When splitting up a dahlia clump it is important to remember that the bud only forms right up against the old stalk. If they are just broken apart many of the buds will be left on the old stalk and those tubers will never form a new plant. The safest way is to use a sharp knife and leave a small piece of the old stem on each one.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Might be worth a nibble! I think I'd be willing to try it in a stir-fry.

Among the most beautiful of flowers, dahlias are also edible! Most people dont realize that dahlias are a close New World relative of both sunflowers and Jerusalem artichokes. In addition to the petals, you also can eat the tubers (see recipe below). Although not all dahlia bulbs are tasty (some are quite bland), they have a range of flavors and textures that is hard to quantify: There are those with crunchy textures akin to water chestnuts or yacon (read Yummy Yacon for more information), and those with flavors ranging from spicy apple to celery root or even carrot. A lot depends on the variety and the soil in which the variety grew. Heirlooms such as Yellow Gem, introduced in 1914, are much more flavorful than the modern hybrids bred for huge, fluffy flower heads.
Thought this was interesting too...

In some cases, such as that of the tree dahlia (Dahlia imperialis), these plants could reach up to 20 feet in height. That wild, treelike species was called acocotli by the Aztecs, meaning water cane. They valued the plant especially as a source of water for traveling hunters.
From http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Edible-Dahlia-Bulbs-Recipes.aspx

Hard to believe such a showy flower would have so many useful properties.

ritblak

Sprout
Reaction score
This seems to help if the plant can do some light frost and die back to near the soil surface. Sometimes, its risk is not worth the wait when there is a possible freezing of their roots. This will be bad news, indeed.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For more information on this subject.....Please go to the Dahlia thread...to page 5 and the 44th post....here I explain how (I) dig and store my Dahlia tubers....over 3,000 lbs. this year...and I don't lose very many....it may help someone.... :D

vebyrd36

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello would like info on best rose food. I currently have 40 roses and use water from my koi pond. I'll post pics when able to

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
o no. i thought in zone 9 i could just leave them in the ground. this was my first year trying dahlia's, so spring time will tell eh? i know lots of water (winter rains) will rot bulbs, so i guess i should of thought of that!
i cant wait to see everyone's blooms come spring :D

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In zone 9 you can leave them in the ground and even up to maybe zone 6 or 7 with some heavy mulch....I live in zone 4 and HAVE to dig up everything each Fall. This last year was over 3,000 lbs. of tubers. We look forward to seeing some photos of your Dahlias this year...you'll have some before the rest of us do... Enjoy the beautiful weather!!!

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
3,000 lbs? holy smokes. i have 4 .. not pounds .. 4 dahlias. weather has been fabulous last couple days. i havent seen anything sprouting from my dahlia spots, but i loved them last year. i'll share photos when i get that far!!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm hoping to start planting my tubers the first part of May....We still have about a foot of snow on the ground. I'll be adding about 20 new varieties to the collection. I do hope that anyone who gets some nice blooms this year will share their Dahlia photos with the group here and help lure potential gardeners to grow these beautiful flowers.... Think Spring!!!!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, out of about 20, most of the collarette dahlias survived and were sending out new shoots except for 2 and half of the cactus dahlias survived. Just got done sticking them back in the ground! :tools

I've got some new ones in flats that I started from seed this year and I'll plant them here in a bit, most of them anyway. I have a flat of 72, so I have to give some away. I gave my mom a bunch for Mother's Day and she was tickled. She was planning to buy some after she saw mine last year, but now she doesn't have to.

Man, is it hot today, but I am so glad to see the sunshine! :coolsun Just taking a quick popsicle break, then it's back to work!

Latest posts