How To Say Anything To a Southerner

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy how long has he lived there? I talked to cousin on the phone less than a year after he moved to TN. I thought I was talking to Jeff Foxworthy! LOL He will pick up the speak real soon. ;)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
yup he will pick up the slang and a bit of an accent after a couple years, but he will always be a dang yankee...
oh lord a yorker with a southern accent yup best he says nothing that would like trying to talk with somebody from boston.. nobody would be able to understand them.

after 17 years out here i still get your not from here are you...nope born and raised at lake tahoe california, oh thats in southern california ..:he one too many paint chips as a child. heck there are some towns that still get their sunlight shipped in....
while on my extended stay in warsaw,nc meet the g/m for the first time, oh my he was from portland, marine. oh did i have fun with him....dang maple head go home......

as for an texas accent, it depends on how much gun oil they were given as a child when they had a cough.....:lol:

all kidding aside being from california, neutral to all the funny accents yankee/southern will just leave it that .....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Please SoCal have their own dialect....

Something about that southern drawl, everyone tries to obtain it minutes after they arrive--even on vacation. Each state has their own version of English.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Although I don't think I have too bad of a drawl, I have noticed I will pick up a bit of one if I am talking to someone else who really does. Bad grammar too. It's contagious! (My mom would skin me for sure.) I have some neighbors who moved up from Logan County (way south in WV) and it's like I've been possessed when I try to have a conversation with them. :eek: Heck, in my state, each county just about has its own dialect.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom So what is normal? Do you speak the King's English? Do you speak as a Native American? If so, which tribe?

We are a country of abnormal people. Historically we have just refused to be dictated to. We are a contrary bunch....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Seed, if you came over here and visited the inter mountain northwest (we are even more normal than regular northwesterners) you would be immediately struck by our profound normality. Surely you would realize what you had never noticed before, that you are living in an other than normal place.

And in case it's not obvious, I'm speaking with my tongue in my cheek, (but still without an accent ).

Latest posts