How to Select Basic Garden Tools?

andy guo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You don't need to spend a lot to start a garden, but you do need some basic tools. You can get started for under $100 - less if you can find tools at yard sales or flea markets.
1. Select a spading fork as your first tool. Before you plant anything, you will need to open and improve the soil. A spading fork looks like a pitchfork but has a shorter handle and wider tines. It is used to dig down into hard soil and break up the ground.
21GJGXPQVKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

2.Next, choose a hoe. A hoe is useful for weeding and cultivating the surface of the soil to allow for penetration of nutrients and water.
2009_09_hoe.jpg

3.Choose a watering can. Long nozzles allow the water to come out at a very gentle flow rate and are useful for reaching across long distances. Select a watering can that has a detachable spray head - this type of watering can is perfect for watering young seedlings.
3203watering_can.jpg

4.Select a round-ended shovel for larger digging projects, such as planting shrubs and trees.
8205-28002.jpg

5.Buy a good bow rake, which has short tines on one side attached to a metal frame or 'bow.' It's used for leveling the soil after it has been turned and prior to planting, or for removing large clods of earth or rocks from the soil. You can also turn a bow rake over and use the flat side to smooth soil in preparation for planting.
8205-31200.jpg

6.Select a pair of garden shears that fits comfortably in your hand. Shears, sometimes called clippers, are used for pruning, shaping and removing foliage or branches. Don't buy the most expensive shears until you decide you like gardening.
www.ehow.com

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The best advice I can give on garden tools is always get the best available. They may seem expensive at first but a hoe (for instance) that is forged all from a single piece of steel will outlast a dozen of the Big Box cheapies (actually it will probably outlast the gardener).

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
The best advice I can give on garden tools is always get the best available. They may seem expensive at first but a hoe (for instance) that is forged all from a single piece of steel will outlast a dozen of the Big Box cheapies (actually it will probably outlast the gardener).
I agree

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
hoodat said:
I agree
The English take their garden tools much more seriously than we Americans do. Their imported tools are pricy but a thing of beauty and a joy to use.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not to High jack the thread but I thought I post my list of need to have garden tools here also.

1- A good Rounded Point Shovel (Spade)
2- A Spading Fork ( although I don't use it too often I do use it to turn the compost pile)
3- A good long handle Garden Rake (Bow Rake)
4- A hoe (I prefer a stirrup hoe over a traditional flat bottom hoe)
5- A Garden Hand Trowel
6- A good pair of hand pruner
7- Sprinkling Can (I prefer a metal 2 gallon type)
8- Wheelbarrow

Now later on you could add -
1- A good pair of Loppers
2- A Folding Tree Saw
3- A Garden Pump Up Sprayer
4- A good Reinforced Rubber Hose Garden Hose (You will love it and well worth the money. I think I paid 40.00 for 50 feet of 5/8in. Gilmour hose that handles hot water up to 180 degrees. 400 PSI burst strength.)
5- A Insulated Pistol Grip Hose Nozzle

Chris

andy guo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
chris09 said:
Not to High jack the thread but I thought I post my list of need to have garden tools here also.

1- A good Rounded Point Shovel (Spade)
2- A Spading Fork ( although I don't use it too often I do use it to turn the compost pile)
3- A good long handle Garden Rake (Bow Rake)
4- A hoe (I prefer a stirrup hoe over a traditional flat bottom hoe)
5- A Garden Hand Trowel
6- A good pair of hand pruner
7- Sprinkling Can (I prefer a metal 2 gallon type)
8- Wheelbarrow

Now later on you could add -
1- A good pair of Loppers
2- A Folding Tree Saw
3- A Garden Pump Up Sprayer
4- A good Reinforced Rubber Hose Garden Hose (You will love it and well worth the money. I think I paid 40.00 for 50 feet of 5/8in. Gilmour hose that handles hot water up to 180 degrees. 400 PSI burst strength.)
5- A Insulated Pistol Grip Hose Nozzle

Chris
THX,Wish happiness:D

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One add. I have found this little tool from Korea that is a flat blade on a short handle for weeding (a hand ho that is curved at the top). It is INDISPENSABLE! I use it more than the hand fork by far!

I have an image, but have not figured out how to post it on here!

Also, I prefer the long handled hula ho.

Reaction score
I have an idea I would like to share. We put up an old mailbox at the garden gate and i keep all kind of things in it, a knife, sissors, string, plastic bags, wire, pliers etc. Everything is there and I don't have to walk all way back to the house for supplies when something needs fixing.

Latest posts