How to store and dry herbs the best way....

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree, but I do like the dust-free aspect. Dust is a big issue around here. I can skip those other steps and just use the Aspen mats and the fan :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or let them dry in cheesecloth coverings as they hang. Lets the air circulate, keeps dust off, can be reused, is all cotton. I love cheesecloth...has so many uses!

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't believe in microwaves, but my next door neighbor dries all her herbs in the micro.... Seems to be fine. I'm just a simple gal and hang mine to dry.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've heard all kind of ways to do it. I just happened to like this one I saw. (I do not agree with the bleach, it gives me shivers at the thought because I'm going to eat that.)

He said something about this being one of the few ways to keep the essential oils in the herb. I'm guessing that means something!? I don't know...

I just happen to have all that stuff so I'm going to try it in the 'fall'. As for spring and summer.... I got it fresh growing everywhere now!!! Who wants dry herbs while they're growing. yuck!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
agirly4chicks said:
Couldn't you put them in the over on like 200 degrees for 10 hours?
Sure you could. But I don't think it would take 10 hours, more like 3 or 4 maybe. One drawback to heat drying is the herbs may lose some of their flavor. I have hung some in my attic before. That dries them out pretty quickly...about 2 days and they are completely dry.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I looked up oven drying and bid is right, it only needs a couple of hours.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I saw this on the food network last night and wanted to share with people who haven't seen this.

My mom and grandmother used to hang dry theirs, so I firgured that was that.... well they were WRONG!

First it is suggested that you 'bleach' your herds! YEP, bleach! For some reason spores from other plants, fungus and bacteria take up residence and a good wash it water won't rid you of them. So make a bath in 2 quarts of water with 1/2 tsp of bleach. Dip the herbs in the mix for 5 seconds. Then rinse in a pure water bath immediately.

Secondly, bring water on the stove top to a boil. And create an ice bath to keep right next to it. Dip your herbs in boiling water for NO MORE then 5 seconds. Then put directly into the ice bath for about 10 second to stop the cooking. Lay in a salad spinner to dry (or on paper towels if that isn't an option.)

Then, get those filters they sell for you to use in your homes AC filter units. Lay your dry herbs on the filters (one kind per filter is best) and stack the filters on top of one another with an empty filter on the top. Using bungie cords attach your filter sandwich to one of those large room fans (It usually comes as 2'x2' white box fan you can get at walmart for like $10!) Select a room to run it in, and turn on for 12 hours.... then flip the filters the other way and rn for 12 hours. You've now got dust free, spore free herbs and you got a nice smelling room! :lol:

Anyways, now your herbs should be completely crunchy dry and you can store them in containers (air tight) in a nice dry and cool place like your pantry to use anytime!
I saw this episode and was lucky enough to DVR it. I have watched it several times. I am sooooo excited because this is going to be my first herb garden and now I have all this info to preserve them. I was wondering if you could use this same method to dry peppers with?

lavacaw

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Okay...that breaks down to a tsp of bleach per gallon of water. When I was living overseas (South America) we were told to use 1 tbs bleach per gallon of water to kill bacteria on ALL of our produce. IMHO, At 1 tsp per gallon, you probably aren't using as much as they use to treat the water in Houston. You are rinsing it in clear water afterwards so I would be VERRRRYYY reluctant to call it "poison". If it slows mold growth, I am all for it. :old

Latest posts