How to store and dry herbs the best way....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I saw this on the food network last night and wanted to share with people who haven't seen this.

My mom and grandmother used to hang dry theirs, so I firgured that was that.... well they were WRONG!

First it is suggested that you 'bleach' your herds! YEP, bleach! For some reason spores from other plants, fungus and bacteria take up residence and a good wash it water won't rid you of them. So make a bath in 2 quarts of water with 1/2 tsp of bleach. Dip the herbs in the mix for 5 seconds. Then rinse in a pure water bath immediately.

Secondly, bring water on the stove top to a boil. And create an ice bath to keep right next to it. Dip your herbs in boiling water for NO MORE then 5 seconds. Then put directly into the ice bath for about 10 second to stop the cooking. Lay in a salad spinner to dry (or on paper towels if that isn't an option.)

Then, get those filters they sell for you to use in your homes AC filter units. Lay your dry herbs on the filters (one kind per filter is best) and stack the filters on top of one another with an empty filter on the top. Using bungie cords attach your filter sandwich to one of those large room fans (It usually comes as 2'x2' white box fan you can get at walmart for like $10!) Select a room to run it in, and turn on for 12 hours.... then flip the filters the other way and rn for 12 hours. You've now got dust free, spore free herbs and you got a nice smelling room! :lol:

Anyways, now your herbs should be completely crunchy dry and you can store them in containers (air tight) in a nice dry and cool place like your pantry to use anytime!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow good tip thanks I have always hung them to dry but sometimes would get mold if I put them in a container when I thought they were dry enough...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I thought this was the coolest herb info ever... I am soooooooooooo going to do this since I got everything I need. Those filters are cheap at walmart too.

Great when you don't have the room to hang that many either.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
interesting.. I may have to look into that.. I did plant a lot of basil but they are not growing as fast as last year.. or maybe I am more impatient not sure .. :/

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My basil last year was small, but I started from seed in August and had to move them in.

This year I have 3 basil plants, oregano, thyme, parsely, and garlic chives. I'm going to add rosemary and sage here soon. I NEED herbs with my cooking obsession!

I just can't stand not having fresh herbs on hand around the holidays... when I need them the most.

I have to give thanks to Food Network for that Good Eats show. I almost turned it off before I saw they were talking about herbs. Glad I put down the remote.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i just love that good eats show too.. I watched a very good one on making baccon.. kinda wierd junkyard setting but good info..

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I saw that episode, thought it made perfect sense! Thanks for reminging me. I really need to grow more thyme, I use a lot.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lay your dry herbs on the filters (one kind per filter is best)
There are biodegradable, regular, and also the aspen swamp cooler filters. Which one has the fewest chemicals on it? The aspen swamp cooler mats?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
No offense, but I don't think I'll be bleaching, boiling or icing my herbs any too soon. Any bacteria or fungal spores will be killed in the cooking process anyway.

I can't imagine, after bleaching, boiling, icing and sandwiching between synthetic filters, that they will retain the freshness, the aroma or the quality I'm used to enjoying.

A quick dry time in a well-vented area until completely dry and storing in clean containers have always worked for me and I can't imagine that has changed over the thousands of years folks have been drying and preserving herbs in this manner.

The only herbs I don't use in cooking, I use fresh or in vinegars. If the occasional stray bacteria or mold spore will be on the fresh herbs, they will be on the other foods in my garden as well.

Putting a poison that kills everything on them, just in case there is a "chance" there may be germs on my veggies is just not something I can wrap my mind around. I guess I'm just not that worried about my fresh herbs harming my health any time too soon, though. :)

Latest posts