How Were Your Tomatoes This Year?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
those tomatoes i started this year didn't get to the ground this year. i did have small patches that volunteered for me this year. the usual 'roma' that sprouts on it own by my coop, and a small oxheart type that sprouted in the pile beside last year's tomato patch. i only got 1 red roma from the patch by the coop but i picked all the green ones last week when i was worried about frost possibly touching them. i got about 2 dozen tomatoes from 2-3 plants.

next year's plans are going to be different for me.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm taking notes! Anyone know of a pink cherry that resists cracking?

@majorcatfish , do you think of that Marianna as a paste? Is it sweet enuf for a salad?

... also tried growing Sweethearts, and they were great, with pretty good numbers of fruits.

Sweetheart sounds good - maybe a better choice than Red Jellybean or Red Pear, neither on my grow-again list.

Rapunzel is a cute name. The varieties supposed to have great, long trusses never quite grow that way in my garden, @bills . An exception might be Ildi. It's trusses are more of a shag. If I was to try to tie the little plants up, I'm not sure how I'd do it. The pear-shaped cherries lay out the plants flat, because of their weight.

@Chickie'sMomaInNH , my volunteer is Coyote. It had no trouble at all ripening more fruit this year ... might turn into an invasive!!! This has like NEVER happened with tomatoes in my garden.

Steve

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I purchased those tomatoe seeds from that company who was mentioned last winter - for $5 or whatever. I started them all and then transplanted. I also was gifted about 4 different ones.

Nuthin'. The only plant that thrived was the black cherry volunteer, who after three years of volunteering, was no longer black or as sweet.

Nuthin' Just simply nothing. I pulled them all out yesterday.

But I do have alot of peppers just now showing up. I started them from seed - green, yellow and red. The small narrow ones. What do I do with them now?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm taking notes! Anyone know of a pink cherry that resists cracking?

@majorcatfish , do you think of that Marianna as a paste? Is it sweet enuf for a salad?

Sweetheart sounds good - maybe a better choice than Red Jellybean or Red Pear, neither on my grow-again list.

Rapunzel is a cute name. The varieties supposed to have great, long trusses never quite grow that way in my garden, @bills . An exception might be Ildi. It's trusses are more of a shag. If I was to try to tie the little plants up, I'm not sure how I'd do it. The pear-shaped cherries lay out the plants flat, because of their weight.

@Chickie'sMomaInNH , my volunteer is Coyote. It had no trouble at all ripening more fruit this year ... might turn into an invasive!!! This has like NEVER happened with tomatoes in my garden.

Steve

being my first year growing them was on a learning curve, since they are a very thick the 1st ones that we picked were red but not quite ripe... still good on a salad.
once i figured out to leave them on till they had a deep red to them they were perfect for canning and for salads, tacos,etc. never heard a complaint from anyone down at work from all the buckets i took.
on a personal note they were a bit to meaty, not a lot of tomato snot inside.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like they are still in development stage of sales, and looking for seed producers ...

I couldn't get to the website using your link, @Chickie'sMomaInNH . The name search got me here : Growing Produce.

I've thought about growing lots of small tomato plants. I don't feel very restrained regarding the number of plants I can start in the greenhouse. Several 100 wouldn't be a problem. The better fit in the garden would be great. It's just that I can't have the larger plant varieties close to little guys.

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
1 word........SLOW

They were slow. They set fruit a little slow but I've never had green tomatoes so long. I'm usually getting the first good sized batch ripe ones by my birthday in mid July but it was well into August before I had anything edible.

I planted very conservatively using mostly proven hybrids because I knew I'd be busy and still was left waiting and wanting more.

I fell behind and I know part if that was my own doing but the long waits were discouraging so it made it hard to want to make the time. My Mr Stripey never did squat but it got overrun by San Marzano-paste type hybrid volunteers that I wasn't sure which till they set fruit and I realized what happened. We got a bunch of rain they shot up and I went "ummmm" at first then went "aw dang it!!!"

New year next year means a fresh start. I'm already looking forward to next year and a so grateful we canned what we did last year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Early Girls still play a role in your garden, @Jared77 ?

I'm not getting away from them very easily ...

:)

Steve

Latest posts