How will I know when my sweet potatoes are ready?

chickenlvr97

Sprout
Reaction score
I am completely new to growing sweet potatoes. I have no idea what kind I have but they are growing on the ground like vines. I was just wondering when I would know when they are ready....are they going to grow flowers or something or will I have to dig under and feel them?

brad

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Not knowing the variety widens the possible maturity window for yours, but most sweet potatoes of which I'm aware have a 3-5 month maturity schedule from the date you planted them. Since you're just guessing, I'd give them 3-4 months and then maybe dig around a bit and see if things are ready down there. If not yet, give them another month or so after that.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
According to Rodale's Encylopedia of Organic Gardening- you can harvest as soon as the leaves begin to yellow. The longer the sweet potatoes are in the ground the richer and sweeter they will be. Once frost blackens the vines- tubers will rot quickly. So, if you wait that long- you need to dig them right up... After you dig the potatoes, they need to dry in the sun for several hours- then be cured for 10 days. You can eat them as soon as you dig-but they will not have much flavor.
Mine are growing in barrels- so the plan is to just dump the barrel and pull out the potatoes...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The sweet potatoes start to form about the time they start to flower. You can gently dig around under them three week or so after you see them flower to see if any are ready.

I don't wait for them to start to turn yellow or anything like that. They won't turn yellow around here unless I have a very bad drought.

You need to dig them before first frost. The vines are very tender relative to frost. If they get frostbitten, the vines will immediately die. It only takes a day or two after a frost for you to have a problem with the sweet potatoes underground.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The vines can cover a lot of area. If they get too far out of bounds you can trim them back but remember that the less you trim the beter the crop.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The way I do sweet potatos is to let a frost kill the vines and wait about 7/10 days and dig your crop.
I don't know if different varieties respond in different ways. Mine are Beauregard but if you're not sure of the variety you planted it will be hard to give the perfect answer.

THANX RICH